Who is best ? Yamaha or Samick

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rodrigovg, Dec 12, 2001.

1. rodrigovg

Dec 21, 2000
    Which bass is better : Yamaha BBN5 5 string or a Samick 6 string ?
  2. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    A noobie! Welcome! :)

In my experience, Yamahas are usually way better basses than Samicks of the same price.
  3. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I'd go with the Yamaha.
  4. bb77

Oct 13, 2001
    yamaha are quite better
  5. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    If I was Mr. Yamaha, I'd be offended!:p
  6. blamkin

Nov 28, 2001
    Broomfield, Co
    I've had nothing but a samick 5 for the last two years. I've never played a yamaha, except a nice old late '70s acoustic guitar.

My samick is Bad. Very bad. Don't buy one. Buy anything else.

Buy some plywood and a cat, nail 'em together, get on stage and throw them at the audience. Nine out of ten audiences surveyed prefered CatPlywood to Samick. The lone descenting audience was a cat convention... or was it a plywood convention. :D

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    LOL. Yamaha is made by Samick to Yamaha's specs. Samick makes more guitars and basses than any other manufacturer in the world. Why? Because they make pretty much everybody else's basses.
  8. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Hm. I am yet to see a Yamaha with "Made in Korea" on the headstock.
  9. rodrigovg

Dec 21, 2000
    Ok, i'll buy a Yamick
  10. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Munjibunga is right.
  11. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    me either, ive seen them with made in japan though.
  12. I think they use to make a lot of basses for yamaha, not a whole lot these days though..
    But samick do have factories in other countries in asia like China and Indonesia or what not..

And almost all the basses made in Korea has to do something with samick since they own more then 90% of the guitar factories.

Last time I heard they were making corts, Ibenez, Spector, Squire ++ etc.

edit: and I think the question should be who si "better" not best.. because of the obvious reasons.. :);)
  13. I'm not sure if Munji is right on this. All Yamahas (except the Patitucci etc) are made in Taiwan, and to my knowledge, Samick does'nt have a factory in Taiwan. They are in Korea, China and Indonesia. Also, the production quality of Yamahas far outstrips any Samick I've ever seen. Three areas that confirm this are;
    Yamaha necks and fret finishing are better than any Samick or Samick-built (e.g. Ibanez)
    Neck pockets on Yamahas are first rate
    The finish sanding and buffing on a Yamaha is better than anything I've seen from a Samick factory.
    As I work in a shop, I see heaps of Yamahas, and heaps of Samicks and Samick produced instruments, eg Ibanez, Washburn, Epiphone.
    However, I could be wrong....
  14. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I've heard off my local music shop owner that all(or most)Samicks are rip-offs. I know a guy that has a Samick but it is a Fender copy. There are also basses in that shop that are Samicks but they have ripped off Ibanez, Warwick(same body curvature) and Stingray(3 tuning knobs on the top of the head stock, one on the bottom and the round(ish) pick-guard).

There are also a few rumors floating around that Samick Australia has played this guy big bucks to sell only Samicks guitars, basses and amps. But this IS a rumor.

So I say go with the Yamaha:D
  15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

WRONG! The Core-Tek factory is in Korea, and they produce Cort, Conklin Groove Tools, Ibanez, Hohner, and some other Korean made basses.
  16. I like Yamick :p

Personally i would go with the Yamaha! ;)

Doh! I should have read all the posts,my cheap-o joke was already done. :(
  17. Let an owner come bustin' in to dis conversation. :cool:

Rodrigovg, I can't say anything about Samicks, because I've never played one, but, I bought a Yamaha BB5NII in June, and, IMHO you can not buy a better made or better sounding bass for $400.00
    The quality of workmanship is very good, and, right out of the box this bass has a very growly Jazz bass type sound. The best thing I like about it, is that when both pickups are on full, the bass is silent; no hum whatsoever. I recommend it highly.

Note: I have a BB5N II. The exact differences between this model, and the BB5N I haven't been able to determine, but, I think the II has humbuckers, while the previous model had single coils.

To Munji, or Embellisher, or whoever knows; A friend of mine at another forum told me that Epi Jack Casadys are made in the Samick factory, is this true ? (not that it matters)

Mike J.
  18. Yamaha for sure! I have a RBX765 and it is really sweet. Surprisingly tight B string too.