Who Is Happy With Their Ampeg Pro 3?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Motorhead Mark, Dec 29, 2004.

1. So I play a show on the 17th using a Geddy jazz through a Pro 3 and a HLF410...and it sounded like crap!. My gear was used by everyone the whole night, so I had time to listen to it from different spots in the bar, and all I could do was shake my head. I tried playing with the eq and all the other bells and whistles and it would not cut through, and it didn't have that "full" sound and feel. I played my next show on the 21, again, it sounded like crap. My drummer commented on how I need new gear as he doesn't want to play with farting bass gear anymore, and I should've used the Yorkville gear. I have read numerous posts about the Ampeg III not being as loud, and really having to crank the volume to get anything out of it. Has anybody has any positive experience with this setup, or one similar to it? I have a chance to trade this gear against a new Fender deluxe, and I am seriously considering it...ahhh, what to do what to do??????
  2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I owned a 3Pro for awhile. It worked great as a lightweight head I could use at rehearsals, even loud ones. Note however that I've used (and still use) a higher-power rack rig for gigs: I play 5-string and get no PA support, so I like having at least 700W to maintain phat low end.
  3. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I used a 3Pro for almost 5 years (over 500 gigs) and it served me well. The venues we do don't require massive rigs or PA support, and it helped that I was using a 4 Ohm cabinet to get the max out of it - first an Eden 212XLT and then an Aguilar GS212. I loaded it with a set of Telefunkens and it sounded absolutely great!

It developed a problem in the tube biasing circuit just as the warranty was ending, so I sent it back to Ampeg, got it fixed for sale and then went on to something else ( Mesa M-Pulse 600). I got excellent use out of the 3Pro. If I didn't like the Mesa I was going to get another one.

As it is I like the Mesa a whole lot. :D
  4. main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    NeoX 212T. Its loud, very loud with great tone and definition.I'm very pleased with mine and use it to push My 4-ohm Genz-Benz XB-410 and
  5. I'm using mine w/ an SVT-410HLF and it's been great. You have to crank the volume as the HLF isn't a particularly efficient cab, but it gets the job done. Haven't had an issue w/ wolume yet.
  6. Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    My friend Kyle Brown the bassist for "My Former Self" uses an SVT-3 Pro. He loves it. It serves him really well. He runs it into a SWR Goliath Sr. and loves it death. He gets some really nice tone too. You can hear some of his band's recordings here. www.purevolume.com/myformerself

I used to use one a long time ago when I was in this jazz combo that provided one for me. They upgraded to a SVT-4 PRO, however, I thought it was cool.

7. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I had one for about 5 years... Sounded great. I used it with two hartke 410s at the time (200 watt cabs). Worked well... Just wanted a different sound. Would buy one again for the right price...