Who is/has been the bigger influence on pop music, ...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Munjibunga, Nov 17, 2005.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    ... Elton John or Madonna? Who's better?
  2. madonna

definatly on both topics

because if you put all her music together and listen to it, it's quite more diverse than Elton John's I think. Although I do have to see because I don't really like Elton I don't listen to his music a lot really. Besides she has a much better known face and is more fun altogether.
  3. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Elton John, because he is a great, talented songwriter. Madonna does other peoples crap and shows off her naughty bits alot. Who cares?
  4. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Madonna hops on the current trends, hires a great producer, makes a solid record and moves on. I'd say Elthon John for sheer originality.
  5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I was interested in a News item I heard on the radio the other day, where they started off about :

Two 47 year-old women who have young children, are the boomakers's favourites to have the Top Album in the UK charts at Christmas!!

So that was Madonna and Kate Bush...

They went on to talk to several music industry figures who mentioned how they were complete opposites as well - so Kate Bush never gives interviews, does no publicity and takes 12 years to make one album!!

Whereas of course Madonna will make albums at the drop a hat and can never get enough publicity....;)
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Interesting choice for comparison...

Both - 'Gay Icons'
    Both - constantly changing hair (styles)
    Both - flirting with dance music
    Both - well over the age most people consider the max. for a Pop star
    Both - into Charity gigs
    Both - into awards ceremonies

I see no difference and neither holds much interest for me !!
  7. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Truth be told-
    I have never, ever bought anything by Elton John...I have bought 3-4 albums by Madonna.

Nevertheless, in this comparison test, I would opt for Elton John.
    I agree with Vorago...Madonna hops onto trends. IMO, this argument could be made: No MTV, no Madonna. IMO, her early records were not strong enough to make it on radio alone. Just one man's opinion.

There have been a few posts around here recommending Elton John's LIVE trio album from late '60s/early '70s. Furthermore, everytime I hear "Honky Cat" or "Rocket Man" on the Oldies station...I stay tuned in.
    Elton's bassist at that time, Dee Murray, is damn good.

The best Madonna ever sounded was a SNL appearance with Weather Report's rhythm section(Victor Bailey/Omar Hakim)...doing "Fever".
  8. I seen both of them:

I took my daughter to see Madonna last year and wasn't impressed by her concert. What made it better was when my daughter and her friend were asked to go to the front row to see the concert from there at the request of one of Madonna's crew members.

I saw Elton John and Billy Joel performing on the same stage great concert !
  9. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
  10. ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    I don't want to derail the thread, but Michael Jackson owns them both... :bag:
  11. Stevie Wonder over both.
  12. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Influence? Madonna...Elton has never been a trend-setter.

Who's better? I like Elton better but that's just my personal taste and he's done plenty of stuff that I don't care for.

I can only think of one Madonna tune I ever liked and that was just because it sounded like the Bangles :D
  13. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    No fair! That's like letting American pro basketball players into the olympics.

Elton John.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I am sure Madonna has enjoyed more popularity but i would say Elton is far more talented.
  15. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    Elton, for sure. His music sounds as fresh today as when it was released. While Madonna has made a significant impact, some of her stuff sounds dated to me. Still though, 2 examples of very influential pop atrists.
  16. +1
    as much as I really don't like madonna, she has the elton beat in the popularity contest, but elton wins in the talent catagory because although both can sing, elton can play the piano...madonna can't really do anything else, and that includes dancing, because i've never seen her dance, just doing a striptease, only without the clothes actually being taken off...
  17. Munji, is this a joke??? Who's better?? I expect more significant posts from you. Howabout, Who's better NWA or Public Enemy? Who's better Pat Boone or Bobby Darin? Who's better Alban Bern or Anton Webern? Who's better Paganini or Chopin or Shankar or Cage?
  18. captain and tenille !!
  19. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Elton John...

Absolutely no question about it... Elton John was making hits when she was still in HS.
  20. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    but what has he done recently?

last i heard of'em was his "candle in the wind" single for princess di.