1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who is in a 3 members band? Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Oleg, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Oleg

Oleg

Jun 20, 2015
    Played with 2 guitarists in a band (rock, alternative, metal etc)
    usually was trying to scoop the mids (minimal for ~850hz) , leaving only low mids and low end.

Now will play with only one guitar member, which will not gonna be loud, bass will take the rhythm guitar place.
    Also will use some OD/Distortion pedals.

So my question is, from your experience, with only one guitar, please share your equalizer settings.

2. Porkchop2

Porkchop2

Aug 20, 2015
    Milwaukee
    I did quite a few years in a 3 piece + singer, Just 1 guitar, bass(me), and drummer. I ran a Hartke 3500 that had a 10 band graphic EQ into 2 Hydrive HX112's and I always ran it like a frown, Cut 30hz, and 10Khz down 6 db or so, and had a hump around 1 - 2Khz. Cut thru like a knife. Set something like below, with slight adjustments depending on the room...
    30Hz -6db
    64Hz flat
    125Hz +2db
    250Hz +4db
    500Hz +5db
    1KHz +6db
    2KHz +6db
    3KHz +4db
    5KHz +2db
    10KHz -4db

Oleg likes this.
  3. Abrahampost

Abrahampost

Feb 22, 2013
    Vermont
    Hmm well style, gear, room size/shape, tonal goals are all considerations when eq'ing your amp. For myself, I played in a funk/rock/jam trio for years playing on either a mesa walkabout or eden wt800 into a pair of bag ends(s15d, s15xd). I would always shoot for a nice clean low end(which usual meant cutting below 60/80), a nice mid growl (800ish?) and a bit of sparkle on the top end. I used a bunch of effects for different songs to change up the flavor some but in reality the key to playing in a trio is holding the pocket while also choosing your place to be melodic.

I always find myself working much harder and thinking more about my bass lines in a trio.... it is an awesome learning curve everyone should go through!

Oleg likes this.
  4. nostatic

nostatic

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    Take this opportunity to explore the holes. The common tendency is to want to try and fill up the gaps left by the missing guitarist.

Just eq the bass flat and get comfortable with being uncomfortable. Something cool might happen...

For the past few years, my band has been playing bass/drums/sax (and vox) or more recently, bass/drums/violin and vox. No guitars, no keyboards. The challenge is to play less...

Oleg likes this.
  5. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    My trio is bass, keys, drums. No vox. I usually need upper mids boosted to articulate.

Oleg likes this.
  6. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Here is one way to do it. Get a spectrum analyzer phone app such as this one:
    Spectrum Analyzer - Real Time Sound Frequency Analyzer on the App Store

Have your guitar player play, look at the spectrum and find where the holes are in the soundscape. Use this info to set your EQ. You can overlap to some extent. Then play as a band and get someone to look at the spectrum. Adjust as necessary.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
    Murdoc_420, Oleg and Bass 45 like this.
  7. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Depends on your guitarists tone.

An awful lot of them think they need to crank the low end on their amp. You know... to help the bass player.

Oleg likes this.
  8. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    Billy Sheehan takes a ton of hits because of his tone, and solo'ed the critics are right - he sounds horrible. But add a single guitar and a drummer, and he fills the gap between the two more effectively than anyone I can think of.

Porkchop2, wave rider and Oleg like this.
  9. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    I played in Trio for many years guitar, bass and drums I really don't remember my amp settings but man was it fun, especially playing bass, you can be as busy as you want without stepping on anyone's toes!!

Marko 1, Oleg and onda'bass like this.
  10. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    My next group I'm trying to get together now will be a trio...bass, drums, guitar/singer. I may have to add a lead singer depending on whether the guitarist or drummer can sing. I'm good for backing vocals though. I don't like playing with more than one guitarist. The last two bands I was in (hard rock covers) had two and it was always a "hot licks" contest and volume war as if guitar frequencies can't be heard at a decent volume. In addition to that, I don't want to share my side of the stage with a second guitarist! That sucked as well. I dance around when playing and need my own space!

11. Porkchop2

Porkchop2

Aug 20, 2015
    Milwaukee

bass/drums/sax... There was an 80's band called the Oil Tasters that was Drums/Sax/Bass-Vocal, Cool Stuff

12. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    One guitar I run dead flat. There's enough sonic space.

Two guitars I'll keep the EQ the same but drop to a BEAD tuning to get out of their sonic space. This works a lot better - FOR ME - than redoing my EQ.

13. nostatic

nostatic

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    Here's bass/drums/violin/vox - string life live, by nostatic

and some bass/drums/sax/vox -

Porkchop2 likes this.
  14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I wouldn't do a whole lot different until I get in there and see what I'm dealing with.

alembicguy likes this.
  15. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    I was playing in a hard rock/metal-ish 3 piece + vocals thing a couple years back. Finding my sonic footprint was a little challenging.

What really worked for me in that situation, and YMMV, and I'm hesitant to even say it because interwebs....

I bought a Precision bass. I'd previously borrowed a friend's P-bass for one evening, and tried it out with the band at a full rehearsal. It was everything my Jazz wasn't.

16. The Chuck

The Chuck

Dec 11, 2013
    Wilmington, NC
    A three piece is the best (IMO). I love being in them as a drummer and as a bass player.

17. alembicguy

alembicguy I operate the worlds largest heavey equipment Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    Yep

18. Clouz

Clouz The Ayatollah of Jack and Cola

Jan 26, 2013
    i adjust my eq to the room. i don't change my tone for anyone or any song we play.