1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who is in a bass and drums only band?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Lichtaffen, Apr 3, 2015.

1. Lichtaffen

Lichtaffen

Sep 29, 2008
    Rhode Island
    The drummer that I've been working with for the past 6 months is a great guy and we have awesome chemistry, both as friends and as musicians. We were hoping to jam for a while, write some grooves and then find other players, but now we both feel like adding anyone else will ruin our chemistry. We've been considering doing the bass and drums thing but we're both afraid the music will be too simplistic and not keep an audience's attention after the initial novelty has worn off. Also, neither of us can sing. We've been throwing around the idea of triggering samples, making loops on the fly, etc. and I've also been using effects to vary the sound of my bass.

The question to you is: is anyone in this type of band and what do you do to keep it interesting? Do you gig or is it just a jam thing?

2. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    I am just now starting one and we have the intention to write material for performing on stage. But since we are just now getting started, I can't offer any advice from my own experience yet.
    The closest I to this in the past is that I used to jam with my nextdoor neighbor who was a drummer and there were times when it was pure magic. But that situation was just free form jamming and nothing more.

There are a fair number of bass solo artists and bass & drum combos making music and giving live performances.
    One such band "Royal Blood" is actually doing very well and is making a name for themselves in the mainstream.

"Clatter" was a bass & drums duo that was very good and had some success over a number of years.
    "Death From Above '79" is another.
    "OM" is a bass & drum band
    Also look into what some of the bass solo artists such as Steve Lawson, Michael Manring and others are doing.

It is very exciting to step out and work on carrying the melody as well as the groove. I am thrilled to be focusing on improving my songwriting and instrumental skills and the challenge of being both creative and entertaining within such a limited format.

I look forward to hearing how your own endeavors turn out.

Good luck!

3. Lichtaffen

Lichtaffen

Sep 29, 2008
    Rhode Island
    Thanks man! That was a great post. I'm going to check out those bands.

In my own backyard of Providence, RI there is a band called Lightning Bolt that is bass and drums, but their music is nothing I would aspire to. A lot of loudness and noise and not much in the way of songs. Nothing against that, but I would much rather do something that has a lot of atmosphere and subtlety. Y'know?

Our sound is leaning toward the trip hop genre. I'm trying to work with a Ditto looper (actually 2) but it's tough for a drummer to keep up with a loop that is not perfectly in time. I guess I need more practice.

Do you have any links to your music?

4. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Not yet, we are just getting started and have only done a bit of jamming to start capturing ideas at this point.
    Heck, we haven't even thought of a name yet. :D
    We are both prog and fusion heads and that is part of the reason for this project as our other bands are very different musically.
    We also play other instruments and those may get incorporated as we go along, it's just too early to tell at this stage.

5. tbirdsp

tbirdsp

Sep 18, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Not trying to do this myself, but the idea is interesting.
    Yeah - Royal Blood is pretty cool. I have a Ditto and I have a TERRIBLE time trying to get loops in time. I guess you just have to do it enough you know exactly when to hit the button.
    I saw a band on Austin City Limits the other night that makes some really neat use of a looper - search tUnE-yArDs on youtube, look for the live stuff.

6. Check out Lightning Bolt, the bassist replaced 1 string with a guitar string and plays through a wall of amps.

7. thabassmon

thabassmon

Sep 26, 2013
    New Zealand
    It will be my next project, I am working on coming up with some material to get it going. I just can't decide if I want a second bass player or not.