1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who is Jack Bruces favroite bass player?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Big chicken, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I'm not very surprised.

Jack Bruce seems pretty down to earth, and not ignorant to what's going on in the world musically.

2. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Cool article.

3. TimmyBoomBoom

TimmyBoomBoom

Apr 10, 2007
    Jack is reason I started playing. And the Cream reunion was something I never would have thought would happen. How lucky we are that three of them are still alive and playing. One of the things I admired about Mr.Bruce is how after making lots of money in Cream, he pursued what he wanted to play. Not dictated by popular tastes or record companies.

Out over the moon
    I will go running
    Lovers of the stars
    Will watch my trails
    Lonely in their boxes
    Me I'm raising the smile

4. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Great thinker and player who provided future recidivistic plodders something to focus their hate on ; }

5. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    (pedro off to find the dictionary.)

6. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Translation: Jack Bruce has pissed off a fair number of closed-minded people over the years, people who think the bass's role should be as limited as possible. May of them, ironically, are bass players.

Thus, he can't be all bad! ; }

7. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    LOL!! Yea I reckon that's true. I've been a fan since I first heard him in 1966. Seen him 3 times. Once in 1968 on Cream's Goodbye Tour, once with Ringo's Allstars and at the Cream reunion.

8. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    Interesting, but that was more than 9 years ago. I wonder who he'd name today?

9. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    I didn't take his comment seriously. I don't mean that Jack Bruce doesnt think Flea is a terrific player but I think he was being a little tongue and cheek (back flips, etc.).

10. It is an old interview, but none of those people he mentioned were new on the scene on '01. I can't think of anyone in the past 9 who has had as noticeable an impact on bass in popular music as Flea had in the 10-15 prior to this interview.

Not too sure if he was being tongue and cheek either (necessarily) Fleas animated stage presence doesn't take away anything from what he is doing musically (which is impressive enough IMO)

I'm a Flea fan though :bag:

11. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Flea's river runs deeper than some people give him credit for. IMHO

12. Baron Von Vik

Baron Von Vik

Jun 11, 2010
    Somewhere in Arizona
    Mojo FunkBasses
    How could he have been speaking tongue-in-cheek? Flea's virtuosity is indisputable. Add to that his showmanship, good humor, and overwhelming love of music, and Jack's statement is even more relevant today than it was 9 years ago.

You might enjoy Jamerson and Jaco, et al. for their technical prowess, but obviously Jack Bruce appreciates Flea for his awesomeness. And that...is...awesome.

13. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Actually having re-read Jack's comments I take it back. I thought it tongue n cheek for two reasons.

1. The comment about the back flips.

2. In context of Jack saying that Ron Carter was a fine musician and then later saying that Flea was his favorite.

But as I re-read, Jack does specify 'rock bass player' and I with that qualifier I can certain understand his comment better.

14. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    I think that is Jack being Jack

15. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    LOL!! Probably.

FWIW, a few years back I got to ask Jack Bruce a few questions on an online interview. During the interview he waxed on quite a bit about wanting to work with Christina Aguilera.