Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

who is jacos bass player?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by b0nes83, Apr 9, 2001.

1. b0nes83

b0nes83

Dec 14, 2000
    Some kid asked me the other day if I knew who jaco Pastorius's bass player was. it was a very funny question. I quickly explained to him who jaco was.
    Has anyone heard this really hip version of the chicken? its called "Soul Intro The Chicken" the intro to the song is so amazing. if you haven't heard it than DL the song its a cool song. peace
    Chad

2. That is an excellent tune. Every time I listen to it, I feel like getting up and doing 'the chicken':). It is a fun, lively tune. Funny, but listening to that tune one day is what got me to pick up the bass again after a 10 (or so) year hiatus. Jaco was definitely a grooving jazz cat, and this tune is proof of that.
    [​IMG]

3. b0nes83

b0nes83

Dec 14, 2000
    yes yes yes and yes....jaco is the man. he XavierG how did you get the cat up there? that is very cool...peace
    Chad

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Yeah. Whoever created that animated GIF is definitely a Jaco fan.

Will C.:cool:

5. I put a link to the image, which sits on my server.

If you mean where I got the image, I 'fixed' another animation that jazzbo had in one of his posts. This is the original...
    [​IMG]

Yes! I am!

6. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    HAHAHAHA was he asking to try and make an ass of you? Or was he being serious?

I don't think I'd answer a question like that either way. I mean... if they don't already know... and they're refering to him by his actual name... it's pretty bad...

7. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Oh yeah, I just downloaded the song "soul intro the chicken" I don't have TONS of jaco, but this is definatly a good song. after the intro part, it kinda sounds like ska. I'm realling likin' it so far, I have about 1/4 of it. It's like ska without the guitar. :D

8. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I nabbed a live version of Jaco playing "I shot the sheriff" off of Napster (i know, shame on me.) DAMN that man could do anything. I also didn't know that he collaborated with Pat Metheny, which is also amazing and I recommend it to anybody.

9. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Another good song to check out is Dave Pomeroy - Destination... I love it. the bass sounds so good. I don't know what effect he's using, but it sounds stunning. I'd say he may not be using an effect, but his bass sounds really odd for him to not be using one...

10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...Jaco & Metheny are pals & go waaaaayyy back.
    Jaco played on Metheny's debut/solo album; there's also a tune titled "Jaco" on the first(?)Pat Metheny Group album(w/ Mays, Mark Egan, & Gottlieb).

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...here ya go, Metheny & Jaco fans.
    Looks like 2 guys goin' for and gettin' it! ;)

12. Sweet pic Jim! :)

Is that Tony Williams behind the kit?

13. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Stinger-
    ...honestly, I don't know. If it was Williams, man...!
    Could it be Bob Moses?

14. Could be Moses! I was thinking Williams because I know he played on some of the Joni Mitchell tour, and that pic looks a lot like it could've come from there.

BTW, did you know audiophile imports has the Shadows & light DVD in an all region version now?

http://audiophileimports.com/cgi-bi...items&pos=0&type=search?search=jaco+pastorius

I lost my video a few years ago (someone though "borrow" meant "keep") and I'm so tempted, but region 0 DVD's scare me. I don't want to drop $50 just to have it not work!

15. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Stinger-
    ...yeah, I picked up the DVD(Hong Kong)from AI a couple weeks ago.
    Last year, after a 20-year or so wait, I picked up the VHS tape when it was finally re-issued(finally). Figures, now I have a tape & the disc(the disc does "Rock"!).

Did ya pick up the Kai Eckhardt solo cd?

16. I love Jaco, jaco rules! nuff said

17. Where's that jaw dropping smiley when I need it!!!

I'll be ordering the Kai CD promptly. Didn't even know about it.

So the S&L DVD is worth it? Oh boy!

18. I dont think there's enough hair on the drummer to be Tony.

19. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Marty-
    ...agreed.

Stinger-
    ...you'll also wanna pick up the latest Bass Frontiers mag(Matt Garrison cover; Volume 8 #1). There's a nice article/interview with Eckhardt(4 pgs). Garrison & Gary Willis are also featured.

20. RichGlass

RichGlass

Apr 18, 2001
    Believe it or not. Jaco did a tour of Japan where he had hired another bassist. There are some japanese tv bootleg videos out there. I think it was Mark Egan who would cover bass when Jaco would suddenly leave the stage. I think it was Word of Mouth's first tour of Japan, but I'm not sure. Anybody out there want to help verify this?