Who is Mark Hoppus, the great bassist ????

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Jimothy60, Aug 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I read nothing but great reviews of Mark Hoppus. Is he a studio musician, in a band? I usually keep up with who's hot but have never heard of this dude until recently. Thanks.
  2. Thanks, I now understand the sarcasm (I hope!). Sort of like that Gene Simmons was voted the best overall bassist of the millenium.
  3. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
  4. Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Assuming he was actually playing, I was quite impressed with his performance in a live TV performance of the band I saw a couple of months ago.

I figured he was just some no-talent, but if he was playing what I was hearing, he's definitely no slouch - and he was singing at the time, too.
  5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If I relied on playing as "well" (cough, cough), as he does at age 32/33 (his age), I'd have been cutting lawns for a living. :D
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Me too!:bassist:
  7. So being a virtuoso at 32/33 you were working a day job while he at 32/33 is playing (cough, cough) to thousands of people a night, making cash hand over fist, is on television and radio nationally, has a signature series bass...
  8. AntWhistle

Jul 26, 2004
    Norwich, UK.
    (cough, cough) he at 32/33 does play to thousands of people, has fame, and a signature Fender, but reading between the lines...he plays to thousands of radio-listening 14/15 year olds, is famous for being the most unimagnitive bass player in the music industry, and popularity sells (Fender know how to make a quick buck)!

Basically, he's rich, but only for being a joke, and judging by his records, a very lame one at that!!!
  9. hey hang on, he does his job, and Carousel is a good tune to learn on bass. Tis easy, but sounds great.
  10. odie

odie Supporting Member

um yeah he plays in a pop punk band. How flashy can he be?? Is there room to do much more than he does? It would be like Paul Gilbert from the 90's on tour with Jessica Simpson.
  11. What's wrong with 14/15 year olds? What's wrong with the radio? Or are 'real musicians' too cool for 14/15 year olds or the radio?

Your call he's "a joke" or "unimaginative," my call he's playing out making a pretty good living, enjoying playing, and doing what he wants and not sitting at his computer talking about how crappy other bass players are.
  12. Pwnt.
  13. WickdMOnkey

Nov 18, 2003
    Whats the deal on here with everyone hating on someone for being in a pop band and making lots of money? Yeah he isn't the greatest bass player on the planet but he doesn't suck either.

I personally am not a fan of his but I won't rip on the guy. He gets the job done and thats the job of a bass player. Not every band calls for a great standout bassest. I know my band doesn't and I sure hope you are ripping on me someday in the future saying "that bass player from Pike Station doesn't stand out or do anything fancy". I will just smile as I cruise around in my Ferrari knowing you guys are ripping on me.
  14. Dammit i want of those basses.

Note: I was not being sarcastic!
  15. DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Because most of the time these bassist suck a lot. I'm 14 and I've been playing the bass for almost 3 years now, I have crappy reading skills but very good playing skills for somebody at my level and with some of these bassists I think to myself "I play bass better than this guy, why the hell aren't I making millions selling crap music to stoned teenagers?"
  16. Holy_Grail

Holy_Grail Guest

Aug 12, 2004
    Absolutely correct. Well, empty vessel makes the most noise.
  17. That kinda attitude towards other musicians is enough to impede any kind of musical success for yourself.

I doubt Hoppus was out to be the greatest bassplayer out there..nor the worst. But at the end of the day looks to me like he's making a few million dollars doing what he loves. That has to count for something.
  18. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

just wow... you guys are silly :meh:

I mean he MUST be a great player... Fender released a signiture model for him :p

oh yeah, IBTL :bassist:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.