1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who is Peavey's source for their Neo 10" speakers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rboyce, Aug 7, 2008.

1. rboyce

rboyce

Oct 12, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Hi all.

Just wondering if a 3rd party (like Eminence) is the source for the Peavey-branded 10" Neo speakers (found in the Peavey Tour series cabinets as well as some of their PA cabinets). I'm also interested in people's opinions of these Peavey Tour cabinets - specifically the 4x10 and the 2x10.

Thanks in advance,

Ray

2. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I believe Peavey are amongst the rare few that build their own drivers.

Alex

3. StoBro

StoBro

Jun 2, 2007
    Chicagoland
    I can only speak from my experience of working for Peavey in the mid '80s. They make (or made) all of the Black Widows and Scorpions. All of the other speakers were made by OEM suppliers- mostly Eminence, a few Jensen, maybe some others.

I tried out the 210 cabinet several months ago. Nice and lightweight. The reason I didn't keep it was I thought the large vent slot was inadequately braced. When I played it standing on end (to get the 10" drivers vertically aligned), I detected some resonance that I could stop by pressing against the bottom wall of the cabinet near the vent opening. Maybe they've addressed that since then.

4. At one time Peavey made just about all the components that went into their amps. I would be willing to bet that they are still making their own drivers.

5. The Tour 15 cab sounds very good, punchy and loud. The 4x10's, however, are very tinny and seem to lose low end when pushed and become progressively more harsh and thin.

6. rboyce

rboyce

Oct 12, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yeah, that's what I thought too, but I noticed in the review of the Tour 410 cab in Bass Player (via the link on the Peavey web site) that it says the speakers are "Peavey custom-designed". To me, that phrase means that someone else is making these speakers for Peavey, but I might be wrong.

I also found some Peavey Pro 10 Neo's on Ebay that say "Made in China"....I didn't think that Peavey had any manufacturing facilities in China. Granted, the Pro 10 Neo's are probably different than the speakers loaded in the Tour series cabs, but it's still interesting.

7. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    These particular speakers are made in China by a Peavey-owned factory.

8. rboyce

rboyce

Oct 12, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Thanks for the info.

What about the Neo speakers in the Tour series cabs? Made by Peavey in the USA or China, or by a 3rd party?