Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who is reading the new Dune novels?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by embellisher, Jun 9, 2004.

1. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Brian Herbert and Kevin J Anderson are writing prequels to the original Dune sextet, and after they finish those, there will be a two part Dune 7, based on Frank Herbert's notes for the next(final?) Dune novel.

So far, I have read House Atreides and House Harkonnen. I started The Butlerian Jihad yesterday, and bought a copy of House Corrino to read after that.

By the time I finish those, The Rise of the Machines should be out in paperback, and shortly after that, The Battle of Corrin will be available in hardback.

For those of you reading the novels, what is your impression of them, compared to the original six?

2. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I got as far as the Super Sexual Duncan Idaho book and figured " I'm through.." and stopped reading Dune books....

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    what do you think of what you've read? i never made it through all the dune novels - i really liked the first 2, the third was ok, then i stared on #4 and i never really got anywhere with it. i've been really curious as to what's up with the "house" books.

4. Baofu

Baofu

Mar 8, 2003
    WA/CA
    Can't really touch them, I'd say. I've read all of them. Still, dune fan owe it to themselves to read them, I think.

Anyone know when Batte of Corrin is out? I'm curious as to who exactly are the Atreides and Harkonnen in the battle, since if you look at the timeline, it's still about 70 years in the future after the end of rise of machines (or at least, that's what I recall).

Mildly upsetting that Dune 7 will be two books. Kinda ruins the whole "two trilogies with a bridging book" deal.

Anyone else read "Dreamer of Dune"? I thought it was interesting.

5. embellisher

I think that they stand pretty well on their own. As part of the Dune franchise, while not in the same league as Dune, God Emperor Of Dune, or Chapterhouse: Dune, they are IMHO almost as good as the other three novels.

They definitely compare to the original six much better than The Phantom Menace or The Clone Wars do to the original Star Wars trilogy.

Baofu, The Battle of Corrin will be out in hardcover around 9/3.

John, I am suprised that you didn't read past Children or Dune.

While Dune Messiah is a fairly easy read, IMHO it is the worst of the original novels. Very substandard storyline, IMHO. GOED is a very tough read, but is IMHO as good as the original novel, once you get into it. It is nowhere near as tough as The Silmarillion, at least for me. Heretics is a bit boring and slow, but is a necessary read to set up Chapterhouse, which in some ways is my favorite of them all. The only thing that I don't like about Chapterhouse is all of the loose ends that don't get tied up. Hopefully, that will be remedied when the sequels come out.

John, I would heartily recommend the House trilogy. Pretty easy read, very entertaining, and almost as in depth plotwise as the first Dune novel.

While Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert aren't Frank Herbert, they are both very talented writers, and hold your attention very well. With 5 or 6 storylines going at once, it is very difficult to put the books down, and the end leaves you in major anticipation of the next volume.

6. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Embellisher - Heretics was my favorite, I think of it as action-packed! Huh. :) Agreed that #2 was the low point. It's like the hangover to the first book. Wow, that's an awesome analogy, I'll have to remember that.

Agreed on the review of the new books. They are very fascinating, for someone who's read the originals anyway. They don't have that "special something" that Frank's books had. They might be stronger on character development, but the spiritual aspects aren't really there.

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    My brother has been reading them as they come, as he read the whole Dune series out of spite (yes, spite).

He's been rather pleased with them all.

I only ever read the first one.

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I've read all the Brian Herbert prequels (plus all Frank's work!)- I'm in the middle of the machine one at the moment - I liked the Butlerian Jihad a lot - Serena Butler was a great character and totally unexpected. But I'm finding this latest one, tough going and it's too heavy to carry around with me so I may take a while to finish it!! ;)

9. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I'd like recommend The Black Company Series by Glenn Cook. I enjoyed(?) every book, painful though it was.

10. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I found the House books to be readable, if a bit homogeneous, and quite entertaining.

The Butlerian Jihad was a yawn, and very much a formula
    space opera, almost with the pulp feel of the Lensman series by E.E.'Doc' Smith. I felt that the language could have been ratcheted up a notch. It almost struck me as ghost written, or as if a computer analysis had been done of the 'House of' books, a plot entered with a command, 'Create more pap like this, but leave out the cutting edge'.

At that point I decided to take a break from the series,
    as the authors probably should have done to refresh and renew the writing effort.

I may be the only person in the world who thought 'The Da Vinci Code' was mundane and trivial, but that's me ..

11. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I found the House books to be readable, if a bit
    homogeneous, and quite entertaining.

The Butlerian Jihad was a yawn, and very much a formula
    space opera, almost with the pulp feel of the Lensman series
    by E.E.'Doc' Smith. I felt that the language could have been
    ratcheted up a notch. It almost struck me as ghost written,
    or as if a computer analysis had been done of the 'House of'
    books, a plot entered with a command, 'Create more pap like
    this, but leave out the cutting edge'.

At that point I decided to take a break from the series,
    as the authors probably should have done to refresh and
    renew the writing effort.

I may be the only person in the world who thought 'The Da Vinci Code' was mundane and trivial, but that's me ..

12. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I stopped reading them after the second book, it just felt like a chore getting through it and couldn't bring myself to start the third. I enjoyed the 1st though. Anyone seen the movie by David Lynch?

13. The Dune books are too long for me :)

14. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga

thanks for the info jeff. i'll check them out.

15. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    As Geshel said, they're "lacking something". They feel very expository, with the plot driving the characters rather than the other way round.

Having said that, I've read and enjoyed 'em all :)
    After reading the first 6 Dune novels, I had too much invested to stop reading.

16. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I got about halfway through "God Emperor of Dune" (the 4th one I think) and just couldn't read it anymore. I was Duned out. I've been reading Clive Barker lately. "The Damnation Game" is a good one.

17. embellisher

Own it on VHS, Laserdisc and DVD.

Have you seen the Dune and Children of Dune miniseries that the SciFi channel did?

18. Baofu

Baofu

Mar 8, 2003
    WA/CA
    I think I still prefer the David Lynch version. I dunno, there's aspects of the scifi one that I thought did improve on the original, but I still think it came up short.

19. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I really like the Lynch version. I thought the first Sci-Fi series was terrible. The second wasn't as bad. Though, they had to cut out so much by condensing two books into one series.

20. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think that's how I feel about them - they add a huge amount to the whole Dune Universe!! Not the best writing maybe, but keeps you interested and entertained. So. I was watching the SciFi Channel Dune TV series after reading these prequels and I felt I got a lot more out of the original Dune story - so I was pointing things out to my girlfriend when we were watching and she was going : "How did you know that about "(insert character) !!! " :)