Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

who is RUSH?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by whitester, Jun 5, 2001.

1. Ok so i've just been let out of the little world that i live in and seem to have missed the rush experience. so for a first timer, can any one help me pick one of the best rush albums to buy, and let me see the light.

cheers

2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Rush has a lot of albums, and everyone is going to recommend their favorite, so here's mine...

...Permanent Waves :)

I think Moving Pictures is probably Rush's most popular album.

Hurry up and buy some Rush music! You don't know what you're missing! :eek:

3. Hmmm...
    Too many to choose from. :p

First Rush album I got was 2112, and ya can't go wrong with 2112! :D
    Permanent Waves is pretty good too, and so is Moving Pictures and...well...most of it. :D:p

4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    The real question is: Is there a bad Rush CD? And the answer is NO. :D

My personal favorites though would be Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, Signals, and Test For Echo.

5. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Whitester, you're in for a treat! Rush is one of the classiest rock bands around. As Gard said, not a bad album in the bunch (and it's a big bunch). Geddy Lee has probably influenced more of us on Talkbass (especially the 30+ crowd) than most any other rock bassist.

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, got that right mike.

furthermore, there are lots of the more aggressive pro players today who were heavily influenced by geddy lee. for instance, if you dig les claypool, especially his fingerstyle (non-slap stuff) then you dig geddy lee already, and you just don't know it yet :D les was HEAVILY influenced by geddy lee.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well he hasn't influenced me and none of the bassists in the UK I've ever met. I remember seeing them live on TV once and hating every minute of it. I've never listened to one of their albums though and while I think Les Claypool is amusing I don't like his style of bass playing as such. But then I find most rock albums I listened to in the 70s quite embarassing now! ;)

8. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    YUP!!! I'm not even ashamed to say that my style resembles a hybrid between Geddy and John Entwistle;)

9. We Canadians are proud to claim Rush as one of our own home-grown bands. What I find most amazing about Rush is the diverse styles that they have embraced through the years - everything from hard-hitting Led Zep-influenced rock in their early years with the albums "Rush", "Fly By Night" and "Caress of Steel", to art-rock with "2112", "Farewell to Kings" (both excellent first choices) and "Hemispheres", to their latest albums such as "Test for Echo" (which is also a great pick). If I had tro choose an album to buy in order to get a feel for Rush I think I'd invest in the double album "Chronicles" which highlights the early parts of their career up to the early nineties (This is because I can't really choose a single album).

10. benjamintowle

benjamintowle Guest

Apr 3, 2001
    usa tewksbury mass
    there the crappy band that play the song about that mark twain book tom some thing ..just kidding the a really good band no one i knwo that the same age of me 15 likes them wonder why.them and cheap trick.

11. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Probably due to the same affliction that causes tragic and profound misspelling and non-punctuation...

12. Yeah i am 15 and no-one (creative spelling as opposed to noone which i think looks super crappy) other than about 3 people have even heard of Rush. I'll be sittin on the bus listening to some tunes on the ol cd player and some kid will be like "Who are you listening too?" and i tell em Rush and they be like, "Who the hell is that? i bet they suck."

13. None of my friends like Rush either; it seems you either love them or hate them. I think a lot of people just hate Geddy Lee's voice.

14. I have 1 friend who's heard of Rush and likes them. I have 1 friend who's been introduced to Rush, and seems to like them. I let my guitarist listen to some Rush and the first thing he said was "Oh my god, turn this $!^ off!"
    I think it was Geddy's vocals, though. I told him "Ignore the vocals, listen to the MUSIC..."
    and he said "Yeah, the music's pretty cool, but TURN THIS $#!^ OFF!" That was 2112.
    A couple months later I played Moving Pictures in the car and was giving him a ride home and he said "Hey, this is pretty good. What is it?"
    :D:D

Oh yeah, and a bunch of my teachers dig Rush, too! One day before they started sound checks for Wally Dudes I played a self-compiled minidisc of Rush songs, and all the teachers were just like "Oh my god. This takes you back about...20 years!"