Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who is Sting's Bassist for this tour?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by GrooveWarrior, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Sting is in town tonight, and I thought I would check to see who is touring with him. I would actually like to know who all of the musicians are. I'm sure someone here has seen this tour. If it's Christian McBride, I'm all over it. Not that the other guys that play with Sting are bad, I'm just a McBride nut!

2. I thought Sting was the bassist?

3. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I've seen him twice, both time it was just him on Bass.

4. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

5. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Sting is touring with himself on bass.
    Bass
    Drums
    2 Guitar Players

6. I know he had a pretty large group of players a couple of tours ago, I just assumed he would do the same. I suppose Sting will do!

7. You know, every once in a while, out of the blue, I ask the odd person (sometimes musicians, sometimes not) "what instrument does Sting play?"

Of course almost everyone knows who he is, but almost nobody knows he a bass player. I find that very frightening. In fact, I get the same think when I ask about Paul McCartney.

Sting is a great bass player.

8. Oh, I certainly meant no disrespect to Sting! I just know that he has been known to bring some heavy hitters along to sit in the bass chair while he entertains. I am a huge Police fan, and think some of his basslines with the Police are some of the most tasteful I've heard. As simple as it is, I don't think it gets much better than "Walkin On The Moon".

9. Is he still using Keith Carlock on Drums?

He was an absolute MONSTER on the last Steely Dan tour. :)

10. I wasn't including you in that statement! I just meant a lot of non bass players, or otherwise average folk.

11. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove

My God, that guys kills!
    Saw him with both SD and Sting and he was awesome.

When SD was in Detroit and they let Carlock take a solo, it was one of the most musical drum solos I think I ever heard.
    And when they introduced him, he got the same amount of applause as Walter Becker and Donald Fagen.

12. rluk

rluk

Nov 4, 2004
    Tallinn, Estonia
    duh, everyone knows McCartney plays guitar :D

13. Sting is definitely playing bass on this tour. He just recently fired his whole band, and has stripped everything down to a bare-bones 4 piece rock band. As for the new players, all I know is that Sting is on the bass, and Josh Freese, (Perfect Circle, Vandals) is the new drummer.

14. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    I think fired is a little strong a word. Anyways, I saw the Broken Music tour last Saturday. As mentioned earlier it's a stripped down basic rock and roll band. They play for a solid two hours so you get your money's worth. Sting is still in great voice and can hit all the high notes as in Roxanne. He must have made a deal with the devil somewhere. Maybe all that yoga is good for the vocal chords. Lots of Police classics and selections from his solo efforts. Even covers the Beatles Day in a Life. Good show. Only downer is that they were looking for $70 CDN for a tour shirt. After $90 CDN for my seats I skipped the shirt.

15. Relatively ( ;) ) young and assuming guy too. :)

Check out his website - it is awesome IMHO:

www.keithcarlock.com

I suspect that "other committments" may be the reason he is not on the current Sting tour. :)