1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Who is stoked about the new TOOL album?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Supergroup, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Hope this isn't a repeat thread... I didn't search it. (to all of you repeat nazis..lol)

I am excited as fudge to get my hands on this album. I have been a Tool fan since Opiate was released... on through the sonic soundscapes of Lateralus. There are few bands left from that era of rock and roll that continue to progress and try new things without losing what made them so great to begin with. Tool is one of those bands. It seems like "10,000 Days" since "Lateralus" was released... here's to rolling a big fatty and sitting in a room by yourself and soaking in some (what should be) incredible music.

2. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Actually, I'm not very psyched about it, strange, I like Tool, but somehow I couldn't care less.

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I have to say that I'm not really looking forward to it. The thousands of fake release dates, etc... it's getting old.

4. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    The album release doesn't excite me much, but then, I rarely pay attention to release dates.

What does excite me are the rumors my drummer relays to me about Opeth and Tool doing a tour together later this year. I don't know whether there's any truth to it, but it's nice to contemplate :)

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Kinda cool... but the Tool fans will probably BOO Opeth. :rolleyes:

6. is this the one with robert fripp on it?
    if it is, i am interested...not stoked, but interested

7. Is there a stigma with Tool for some people? I understand that a lot of the fans that come to shows and buy their albums are kids and "goth"... which is annoying in its own way (because their music doesn't reflect that culture). I can't stand when people boo the opening acts either... ignorant IMO. The ever-changing release dates are annoying as well, I agree. BUT, all of that aside, this is one of the best bands around right now hands down. I can understand if you don't like them. But to not be somewhat excited when you do like them is clearly unacceptable and I am greatly disappointed!:crying:

Sorry your not stoked.

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    The Opeth comment was aimed at the "Fratboy meathead" Tool fans. Not all Tool fans fit that stereotype, but when I saw Tool live, I felt like I was in a frathouse. All backwards hats, all groping women who were crowd surfing. I felt like I was waiting in line to do keg stands. But all I know is, Tool fans BOOed KING CRIMSON. One of the greatest bands of all time. I've seen bands I HATED open for awesome bands, but I didn't boo them. Opeth might be over these peoples heads.

I'll probably check it out, some samples online (Or borrow it from my friends, they'll buy it), I'm just hoping they step outside the "Tool box" and make a completely fresh sounding album.

9. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    No, it's not that, it's just that their music doesn't really interest me anymore. There a very talented band, no doubt, but I just really don't care anymore.

Who needs 11/8 signatures and 12 bar screams when you have da funk?

10. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    I am a big Tool fan and cannot wait for the new album to hit stores. The radio stations in my area have been playing LOTS of Tool lately..It's kinda nice to hear something different than White Stripes and 3 Doors Down.

11. you've got a point...i am not a huge fan of Tool, but they are nice to hear on the radio, instead of the usual 3 doors down or Ashlee Aguilera or whatever their name is...

12. trog

trog

Nov 8, 2003
    Scotland
    I can't wait for this album: it should be great. However, the title and some of the track names sound a bit iffy. I mean, there's a song titled "Pot". To borrow an expression, that's just lame :(

13. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I'm looking forward to it, but i'm not going in with high expectations. I'm guessing it's going to be wayyyy too liberal.

I used to be a Tool slut, but then I just started listening to the stuff that they ripped off, ie King Crimson, and they really aren't that good.

You don't need drugs to make good music.

14. I'm stoked, theres a thread on Tooltabs.net that has pictures of a GUitar World magazine interview with Adam, I'll start a new thread...

15. I'm really ready to hear something new from them, to be honest. And something new than all of the junk on the radio. The only "rock" album that has come out in the past couple years that I can truely say I got my moneys worth was "The Killers" album

16. :meh: This is pretty funny.

17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Why? Because it's absolutely true: Tool admitted to ripping off King Crimson, for one: I'll paraphrase Maynard, after having King Crimson open for them, "Now you see who we've been ripping off for all these years."

Second: Drugs. Don't tell me you're one of those morons who think in order to be weird/creative you need drugs. One of the strangest rock composers ever: FRANK ZAPPA, would KICK YOU OUT OF HIS BAND if you did drugs. So everyone involved with Zappa and his insanity were running clean.

I loathe the mindset that drugs = creativity. Usually drugs make you do things like write a song called, "Pot."

18. You are arguing with yourself... doood. Have issues?

19. simpy1

simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    Do you know what liberal even means? It kinda seems like you just threw it in there to sound smart, and didn't pull it off.

Are you saying people with certain political views can't make decent music?

20. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ill just stop by to say that I love the new cd.