Who is that (female) bass player in Reggie Watts's Band (Late Late Show with James Corden?)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by subtlestew, Mar 26, 2015.

1. jaybones

jaybones Inactive

Mar 4, 2015
    Kelleys Island, Ohio
    none
    Just looked her up, found this thread and was doing some more research on her. Wanted to know what P bass she was playing, and found that she has a custom 9/8 sized 30" scale bass, custom built by Andy Cotton.

Why she would shorten the scale I can understand (playability), but would she gain that much in tone and sustain increasing the body by 1/8? Must have thought she needed it...

2. robbroncs

robbroncs

Jul 12, 2012
    NJ
    Anyone know what color her pbass is? It's fantastic!!!

3. Pandorabalks

Pandorabalks

May 20, 2015
    Upriver,USA
    Hagar Ben-Ari

4. georgiagoodie

georgiagoodie The winged monkeys showed up

Jan 8, 2008
    HELL
    She was playing a Fender P last night.

5. Tom Howland

Tom Howland Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Dig her playing and that sweet Black, Gold Guard, P-Bass. with a Badass Bridge. Looks like a DP122 pickup also ?

6. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    Uhhh... in the link you posted, it says 8/9ths not 9/8ths. So it makes sense to me. Shorter scale, smaller body, for a (probably) smaller person.

7. Wow..Ive been away from here for awhile. I come back and I learn about another awesome female player. Thanks guys:thumbsup:

8. Ccp

Ccp

Oct 6, 2015
    Hagar Ben Ari

9. Gries Amps

Gries Amps Commercial User

May 14, 2008
    Mattapoisett, MA
    Owner, Gries Amplification
    Wild Rice Chris likes this.
  10. SteveP144

SteveP144

Feb 12, 2016
    with James Corden'
    BY CHRIS JISI
    October 7, 2015

Boosted by hosts with a wider range of skill sets than their predecessors, the late-night talk show realm is undergoing a talent-laden transformation that extends all the way to the bottom. Meet Hagar Ben Ari, bassist for “Karen,” the quirky quintet fronted by keyboardist/comedian Reggie Watts on The Late Late Show with James Corden. Rounded out by drummer Guillermo E. Brown, guitarist Tim Young, and keyboardist Steve Scalfati, Karen’s spontaneous, seat-of-the-pants sizzle is grounded by Ben Ari’s funk-informed P-Bass lines. Born in Tel Aviv, Israel, the 36-year-old was weaned on jazz, thanks to her dad, noted guitar teacher Carlos Ben Ari. At his behest, she moved from recorder and guitar to her sister’s beginner bass, at age 13. Intially drawn to Meshell Ndegeocello and Charles Mingus, Hagar added the influences of Chuck Rainey, Paul Jackson, and Pino Palladino, and studied with Israeli-based, former Ndegeocello bassist Yossi Fine. Rapidly ascending the local ranks, Ben Ari was soon touring Europe with vocalist Noa and anchoring the house band of Israel’s most popular TV comedy talk show, hosted by the late Dudu Topaz. Seeking a new challenge, she moved to New York City in 2003, eventually making her mark—and valuable connections—via a four-year stint with Brooklyn’s Pimps Of Joytime. This led to a world tour with Moby in 2008, and in 2010, the bass chair with Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings (which included opening for and jamming with Prince). The call to move west came in March, after Hagar was recommended to Watts and got to jam with him.

11. ReiPsaeg

ReiPsaeg

Dec 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    I somehow managed to only catch the show when Kaveh Rastegar was subbing.

12. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    It is my understanding based on numerous threads on TB recently that we can no longer acknowledge that she is a female, just that there is a human holding a bass guitar.

I would agree, that bass player who is in no way different from anyone else is pretty dang good. I'd like to see that custom 30" bass.

13. subtlestew

subtlestew Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2000
    Kent, CT
    I did put the word female in parentheses in the original post so as not to draw attention to it - perhaps mentioning the fact that she is female at all was inappropriate. I considered the nature of her gender to fall more in the "fun fact" category than a judgement of female bass players, but I see the argument that to even mention her gender parenthetically might be seen as an inappropriate comment. FWIW, I do know who Carol Kaye is, and I'm a big fan of Esperanza Spalding.

On a similar topic, the clip posted above with Christoph Waltz asking about her shows his ignorance of her sexual preference. Perhaps he should have learned more about her before creating that awkward hug moment with her. Interesting also that Corden said he gets daily tweets about Hagar - I'm guessing they are not all from lesbian women.

If you haven't already, I'd recommend doing a search for performances by Ben Ari - she's a mighty fine player - way better than I'll ever be.

14. subtlestew

Apr 7, 2000
    Kent, CT
    @Whousedtoplay, check out Post #14 of this very thread, quoted above. Or Hagar Ben Ari's FB page.

PS - I think what bothers me the most might be the fact that the old geezer actor weasels his way into a hug with her. Why would she be interested in hugging him? And, knowing a bit about her, I happen to know that she's not at all interested in him, and he comes off as more than a bit creepy. Or it could be that I'm still creeped out by him after seeing him in Inglourious Basterds. Or I'm just jealous. Take your pick.

15. subtlestew

Apr 7, 2000
    Kent, CT
  16. slagbass

slagbass Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Canada
    Well, this turned creepy rather quickly. Not feeling really proud to be a TB member right now.....

middlebit and grrg63 like this.
  17. subtlestew

Apr 7, 2000
    Kent, CT
    Yea, I'm not into this becoming a stalker thread. I saw her play on the show, admired her playing, and wanted to learn more about her. I'm not looking for a date here, or a fantasy about one. As the OP, can I request that future posts be music-related only?

Funky Ghost and Whousedtoplay like this.
  18. Sharp5

Sharp5

Dec 6, 2014
    Eastern NC
    Found some great trio stuff on youtube. Tasty player.

Whousedtoplay likes this.
  19. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    Hagar is a very versatile and seriously PRO bass player.

Pushy Teddy Kumpel LOOPestra w/ Hagar Ben Ari on bass and Allison Miller 6.23.14 @ Rockwood Music Hall

GROOVY...

A short clip with Hagar

More of Hagar:
    (I like it.)

And more

In addition to "more"

bassbully likes this.
  20. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    I think quite a few TB members, including me, have said something we did not need to say while talking about an excellent Bass Player.

subtlestew likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021