Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who is the bass player who earned most money on his work??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by GeorgeBush, Jan 18, 2003.

1. GeorgeBush

GeorgeBush

Dec 11, 2002
    is it people like Carol kaye or ??

2. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Most likely Paul McCartney or Sting.

3. I'd have to go with Sting, the Brand New Day album really raked in the dough.

4. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Yeah, I'd say McCartney or Sting have probably made a lot more money than session bassists like Kaye etc. Though - to be fair, it's not primarily their bass playing that has made them all that money - it's their singing/songwriting.

Actually, I didn't realise Brand New Day was as successful as that, Will. I don't really pay attention to the charts though. Anyway, I love the album - over the last year and a half, I've listened to it more than any other.

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    McCartney would win vs. Sting I'll tell you that. Sir Paul's been around longer and has had more albums, more bands, more tours, and he charges more for tickets lately.

6. It did pretty well on the charts, Moley, but the main source of income was from all the licensing he did for the album to promote it. Originally it wasn't getting that much press until they sold the rights for "Desert Rose" to Jaguar.

7. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    It's Sir Paul to you.

8. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Virginia
    I vote Anthony Jackson's writing credit for the bass line to "For the Love of Money" by the O'Jays. I heard Anthony was a teenager at the time. I'm sure he has gotten a good amount of royalties from that one song.

9. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    As session bassists go... hmm... Kaye? Rainey? Jamerson?

As far as Anthony Jackson goes - a joint writing credit for one O'Jays song (I don't actually know the song myself) isn't gonna be *that* huge in royalties. Absolutely nothing compared to Sting and Sir Paul, obviously.

I suppose Zender has made a fair bit from sales of Jamiroquai albums. Travelling Without Moving has sold in huge quantities, and he had some writing credits on that, not to mention his playing :)

10. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Virginia
    Sting and Sir Paul are more songwriters than bass players, IMO. Obviously they are monster bass players, but they didnt get their songwriting credits just for playing bass as Anthony Jackson did.

"For the Love of Money" was a top 10 hit and still recieves a lot of airplay. If you havent heard it you should. It has IMO one of the most distinctive bass lines ever.

11. McCartney is a billionaire. When he passed the threshold a few years back, the point was made that he was the first person to ever make a billion dollars as a musician. No other artist is a billionaire.

12. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    For non-frontman bassists, I'm sure Bootsy Collins does well. Having played for James Brown and Parliament-Funkadelic isn't too shabby. He's also done a bit of side work, (e.g. "Groove is in the Heart," "Standing in the Shadows of Motown").

13. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    what, are you guys kidding around? of course its Paul McCartney, the guy has made hundreds of millions if not billions from his music

as far as session players go: I'm not sure about that, but Marcus Miller would be up near the top...for sheer volume of session gigs Will Lee might have Marcus beat, but Marcus probably commannds more $$

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    One time I got a whole 90 bucks to play a gig. Can you believe that?! 90 bucks. I win... in your face Sting!

15. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Ya know...I've played over 50 gigs in the past 2 years...and I haven't seen a dime! damn school band crap...not to mention I'm the bassist for 5 or 9 tracks on the Cd we released...I haven't seen a penny of the profits(which while they weren't astronomical..they were there) what is the friggin deal! I want to get real paid.

16. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Virginia
    I guess my point was that Anthony Jackson got that writing credit just for his bass line being so funky. Obviously Sir Paul and Sting have made more money on music, but they got that from their songs, not specifically from their playing. Bootsy is another great example of a player getting writing credits just for his bass lines.

17. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Yeah. Well, I suppose it's a matter of how integral the bass part is to the song itself that gets you a writing credit. Rather than how funky it is :)

18. my guess would have to be Sir Paul...as for session players, my guess would be Tony Levin...a 'first call" session player with a truckload of credits, all for playing bass

19. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Virginia
    Anthony Jackson's bassline is essential to that song, thats why he got a credit. As soon as you hear it you know exactly what song it is.

20. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    it's by far Mcartney...he worth 600 million USD.

As a session player I vote will lee, he is on every big gig, lots of session and lets not forget the TV show.