Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who is the bassist for Chic?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Mike Money, Jun 8, 2003.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I ask this because he deserves a medal.

The line to "I want your love" is simplistic genius... it is the greatest line ever... You cannot help but move when you hear it...

2. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    It was Bernard Edwards. Unfortunately, he died several years just after Chic recorded their live CD.

This was posted on The Bottom Line and is how many of us found out:

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Check out the solo in "Everybody Dance"! Whoo wee! Also check out "My Forbidden Lover"!

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Bernard Edwards could play 1/16 notes with the best of them including Rocco Prestia! And he played very lyrically. Chic probably would have evolved into some sort of jazz/fusion/funk entity if he was still alive today!

5. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    What did the cause of death turn out to be?

6. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    I have read it was some sort of pneumonia, but I'm not sure.

Bernard Edwards is one of my favorite bass players. His playing was really innovative at the time. He had a strong influence... take for example the bass line of "another one bites the dust" by queen... it's very similar to Chic's "good times".

Ari

7. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I remember reading once that John Deacon was friends with Chic and actually watched them record 'Good Times' in the studio.

RIP Bernard - he's one the first bass players I was ever aware of - Chic was one of the bands I've grown up listening to, along with Earth, Wind & Fire etc.

[​IMG]

8. Bernard is one reason I laugh when someone sez Disco Sux! He was groove central. Let's not forget one of the all time classic bass riffs "Good Times" which of couse is Rappers Delight as well. Le Freak was a cool bass groove too! We miss you brother!

Disco had some great talents like Chic, Brothers Johnson, Ohio Players, The Tramps etc.
    Peace

9. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Fantastic grooves and soooo hard to play as well as he did. I've pretty much got Good Times down but Le Freak still isn't quite there. What bass did he play on those early Chic albums?

Alex

10. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    The bass most asscoiated with him is a Musicman Stingray, but he also used a Precision (all strung with flatwounds). Those were his studio basses.

Live, I have also seen footage with him using a BC Rich bass with a double-P pickup configuration, as well as an Ibanez Musician.

[​IMG]

11. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    With the BC Rich bass:

[​IMG]

12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    To this day he is still on my short list of favorite bassists. The line to "I want your love" just kills me, the syncopation and open notes are pretty much perfect IMO. One of those lines I wish I had come up with. He and Nile Rodgers were a perfect match.

13. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    For you bassplayers who are into R&B you must hear the ballad "at last I am free". really nice vocal work and Bernard playing a truly melodic bass line. I thik this was on the CHIC album

14. in a BP analysis of "Le Freak" with Nile Rodgers they said his Musicman was strung with old roundwounds (which came stock on the bass when he bought it).
    :confused:

his playing is pretty distinctive also on Chic-organisation-produced tracks eg. Diana Ross, Sister Sledge and Carly Simon- I like the bassline on Carly Simon's "why" a lot- very simple, yet very funky.

allmusic's list of artists Edwards worked with-
    http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&uid=7:04:40PM&sql=R17248#APPEAR

bass with Belouis Some- wow, I wonder if "Imagination" was him.

15. the line in "Can't stand to Love You" is just wicked! grooving, playful, tasteful, and tough. killer tone, too!

Bernard Edwards was a masterful pop player and knew exactly how to create a line which made the song flourish without getting in the way of everything else going on.

if anyone remembers the Power Station (John Turner, Tony Thompson, Robert Palmer/Michael DesBarres, Andy Taylor), Bernard came up with John Taylor's one solo line while screwing around in the studio -- just a little improv -- and had to teach it to the once and future Duran man.

from the low end,

Stew

16. that's John Taylor not John turner... sorry JT!

from the embarrased low end,

Stew

17. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Great thread guys. Here's a guy who's done much more than many of the cats whose names circulate regularly at TB, but he is easily just as influential and talented.

18. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    "Future Duran man"?
    Power Station was POST-Duran Duran.
    (Tony Thompson was the drummer in Chic, too)

Edwards' funk & tone is also evident on Debbie Harry's "Backfired"...

19. hey JimK,

I wrote 'once and future' because Duran took some time off and John was playing for them again years later when they reshuffled things some. that's all.

I mentioned Tony Thompson in the lineup because he was the Chic stickman. I got to catch Power Station live and Tony had the most unbelievable drum sound I'd heard live to that point in my life.

from the low end,

Stew

20. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Carol Kaye.