Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who is the bassist on Diana Ross's "I'm Comin out"?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by RichGlass, Jan 13, 2004.

1. RichGlass

RichGlass

Apr 18, 2001
    Does anybody know who the bassist is on Diana Ross's Disco hit "I'm Comin Out"?

2. sgraham

sgraham

Aug 30, 2000
    Tyler, TX
    I believe it's the late, great Bernard Edwards.
    He and Nile Rodgers (from CHIC) produced, wrote
    and played on the "Diana" album.

The other hit from the album, "Upside Down" sounds
    just like CHIC (which it essentially is :D ).

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Speaking of "Upside Down", you should hear Jamiroquai's cover of it. Stu kills it!

4. RichGlass

RichGlass

Apr 18, 2001
    I've studied "I'm Comin Out" in detail. It does sound like Nile Rodgers on guitar. However, It sounds like the bass is played with a pick. I don't think Bernard Edwards was a predomiant pick player. I think that it is Gerry Brown on drums. I also am not quite sure if that bass sound is a Musicman bass which was Bernard's main axe. Could it be Carlos Vega on his Vintage Jazz bass with a pick? If it is Bernard Edwards that would be especially interesting however!

5. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Bernard Edwards was extremely capable with a plectrum (Just check out 'Everybody Dance').

Allmusic.com lists James Gadson as having played drums on the 'Diana' album - I would have expected to see Tony Thompson's name there. :confused:

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Carlos(RIP) Vega...the drummer?

Or Bobby Vega the bassist outta SF?

I always thought it was Edwards on this tune...I may still have this album, I'll check the liner notes out...

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Darn. I have Swept Away...musicians include Nile Rogers, Bernard Edwards, Jeff Beck, Darryl Hall, the Brecker brothers, Lionel Ritchie, etc.

8. I have the Diana album- liner notes say Bernard Edwards- bass Tony Thompson- drums Nile Rodgers-guitar

the tone on "I'm coming out" suggests to me he used his P bass instead of his customary Musicman as used on the other tracks.
    also it sounds like fingerstyle with a heavy attack IMO. in the BP analysis of Chic's Le freak Nile Rodgers says Edwards often played downstrokes using his fingernails to get a percussive sound.

9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Just listening to it....it's clearly Bernard Edwards(RIP). He had his own style that I've not heard since!

10. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Bernard used a pick on a lot of songs!

11. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    He actually used his BC Rich Mockingbird.There was article on him in a Bass Mag that I read on him when I was in Germany at the time (Whew ! were talking way back !)and the writer at one point had ask him about the Dianna Ross album that He,Nile Rodgers,and Tony Thompson (Chic)had just got thru doing and when the writer suggested that it sounded like he used a MM Bass for this recording he(Bernard)said that he had used the BC Rich.
    I was "shocked to say the least when I had read this.

12. thanks for the info hands5- the Mockingbird (sure it was a Mockingbird?- i've seen pics of him with a BC Rich Eagle) did have P pickups in it though?

the tone on "My old piano" and "Upside down" sounds like a Musicman though:meh:

13. RichGlass

RichGlass

Apr 18, 2001
    That is really interesting! I never thought of Bernard Edwards on a BC Rich. Thanks for the information. In the article, did it say if he recorded direct or with what kind of cabinet?

14. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

[​IMG]

You saying BE used one of these???:eek: :eek:

15. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

[​IMG]

Or one of these??:eek: Well, actually, this one doesn't look too bad!

16. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    According to that article that I had read at that time me (Bernard)said it was the Mockingbird.

17. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    Yes,infact he went on to say that he just basically went direct into the board.

18. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I saw him used one of these on tv(Bert Sugarmans MidnightSpecial)a mahogany colored one in fact when they were playing "La Freak"

19. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Yes, Bernard did use a BC Rich. This is the best pic I can find right now:

[​IMG]

20. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    Believe it or not not to long ago there was one of these here in my home town sitting in all places a Pawn shop.That Damn thing stayed there for just about 2 YEARS. :eek: and finally when I got the nerve to tell my lady that I was going to get this thing it was gone.
    2 years man.And for a stinking $300.00 bucks !:mad: .......DAMNIT MAN.