who is the best female bass player?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Moonraker, Mar 7, 2001.

1. Moonraker

Mar 7, 2001
    There are'nt many female bass players , not that many nice looking ones either unless Carol Kaye is your cup of tea, but in my opinion Gail Ann Dorsey deserves a mention because this woman has talent. She has her own albums but also plays bass for David Bowie.What is everyone elses verdicts I'd like to know your opinions.

2. sn0wblind

Apr 20, 2000
    Ontario, Canada
    what about the "chick" from Hole( I think?!?!) , HOT MAMA!!!
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

To me, there are NO "best" anything bassists, just different. Once you get to a certain level of excellence, the question of "best" is a moot point, and it becomes more a matter of a particular bassist's tastes, not their ability. Even then, what they do is predicated mostly by the genre in which they play. Some can be chops heavy (like Entwistle), some are a human metronome and play stunningly solid, (like Tommy Shannon).

That said, I like Sara Lee.
  4. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Other female bassists could include M'shell (sp?), the bassist years ago for The Waitresses (don't know her name, but she was REALLY good), Gil Weston (Girlschool) - and actually, didn't Robert Fripp's wife Toyah Wilcox play bass at one point?
  5. td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    I like the question, but I can't think of any female electric bass guitarists outside of the pop/alternative genre. Maybe I'm just stupid. Anyway my vote would go for either the bassist for the Breeders or P.J. Harvey. I think the bass players are female although I can't recall. It's just my life outside the MTV generation.

If those aren't acceptable I'll vote for Tommy Shannon in a dress. The horror..............
  6. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...my favorite is Rhoda Smith(I posted a pic of her at the "Post A Picture Of Your Favorite Bassist" thread).
    Tracy Wormworth of Sting-fame(& The Waitresses)was pretty happenin'.
    The girl that played in Vixen, Share Pedersen, had it together, too.
  7. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    I hate these "best player" threads...but to give her some well due credit....

Sara Lee....
  8. ever hear playing on the robert fripp / andy summers disk "bewitched" pretty darn good.
    and boy can she make cake. :D
  9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

LOL (Seriously!) I was thinking about working that in.

So, that makes 3 for the lady with the cinnamon buns ?
  10. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Me'shell N'degeO'cello (sp?), great songwriter/soundsculptor and bassist.
  11. Gail Ann Dorsey- purely on the strength of being able to sing the vocal to "Under Pressure" and play the bassline too- arrggghh!

Me'shell N'deg...oh, whatever her name is.

I always liked Tina Weymouth's bassline on talking Heads' "Psycho Killer" too.

as for looks, Paz Lenchantin of APC/Hilary Woods of JJ72/Melissa Auf De Maur of Hole and Smashing Pumpkins/Anna K of Drain:)
  12. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    - Gail Ann Dorsey (except from the Bowie stuff, I also own one or her own albums - very eighties sounding, but her lines almost beat those from Nathan East, who produced the album and played some bass on it)
    - Melissa from Smashing Pumpkins - such a great sound that I would almost want to play with a pick.
  13. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Not "best", because that word is so subjective, but I would say excellent would be Mechell N'dgee O'chello and the one who used to play for Prince.

14. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I dig Laura Love. She's a singer/bassist, when she sings, it's great, and she's pretty good at the bass. Her music is sorta afro-celtic stuff that's really original, and underknown. I think she needs more people listening to her.
  15. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I love Tina Weymouth's grooves. I saw Mechell N'dgeeO'chello (?) once, and although she didn't play when she sang, she played some wicked grooves and a cool slap solo.
  16. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    I don't think anyone mentioned the bassist of Avalon,a german (i think) metal band,she's very good.The bassist of Vader,english death metal band,is female,too.
  17. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Rhonda Smith
  18. i put a vote in for rhonda smith. she is a very well rounded musician (plays many styles)

i had the honor of being involved in building 2 basses for her (see the ghs bass boomers ad in bass player) the two laklands she's holding in the ad are the ones. I did electronic mods for another bass of hers too.

btw - carol kaye was pretty hot back in the days of her beach boys sessions!

do any of you old coots like me remember suzy quattro?