who is the better Bass player by Mccartney vs Sting??

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by zack01, Aug 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zack01

Aug 3, 2002
    who is the best bass player
    :Mccartney or Sting????
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Who cares - it's all about the music.
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I agree with Bruce.

That said, I prefer The Police over the Beatles, and Sting's solo stuff over Sir Paul's stuff.
    But hey, I started listening to music in the late 80s.
  4. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    McCartney's generally the busier player. Sting's usually a minimalist, but he can pull out the chops if he wants. He gets busy on the Police's "Bombs Away."
  5. StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    YOU are you SLY little devil, yes you are! Yes you are!
  6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    in regards to what?

I can't make that kind of decision without first hearing what you would classify as good. Please state examples in context to your question. I'd very much like to get this issue resolved quickly.
    Thank you.
  7. Interesting and timely question, as I've been listening to Message In A Box all week long.

It's tough to answer, because both played in groups exhibiting wildly different styles.

McCartney was probably the better of the two, as far as his coming up with interesting, melodic bass lines. He also helped re-write the rules of the instrument as the best bassist in pop, save James Jamerson.

Over the years, I have tended to disregard Sting as a bassist. Like McCartney, he couldn't run from the instrument fast enough (remember, Sting was a "guitarist" when he first went solo, with Daryl "Rolling Stones" Jones as his bassist), and his current bass playing is by-the-numbers (much like Sir Paul's current bass work).

But with the Police, especially in the early days? Wow! I was surprised to be reminded how aggressive he was, while still being melodic. Who can forget some of those classic lines--"Walking On The Moon," "Driven To Tears"--or his tasteful note selction on "Message In A Bottle." Hell, these guys started out as a pop reggae band, so he must have had some bass chops. And he did. He was an excellent player, just below Bruce Foxton in the "best New Wave bassist" sweepstakes, and it's a shame he's decided to phone it in these days.

BTW--speaking of Message In A Box, it's supposed to be every recording the Police ever did, but I know of at least one missing track--the live B-side of "Don't Stand So Close To Me" which graced the "Don't Stand So Close To Me '86" single. Any others?
  8. re. Sting's solo work check out the verse bassline to "love is stronger than justice"- playing that odd-time bassline and singing the vocal is not easy- I don't think Paul McCartney's mastered odd time signatures and singing like Sting has FWIW.
  9. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    No Vs. threads! It's in the rules, people!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.