1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who is the better singer?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Steve Harris Is, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Steve Harris Is

Steve Harris Is

Jul 4, 2005
    Just to satisfy my curiousity and to let me know if I am out of my mind, who do you guys(and gals) think is the better Rock singer between these two guys, and why?

Chris Cornell - Soundgarden/Audioslave

Tom Keifer - Cinderella

2. Yikes, Tom Keifer? Vs. Chris Cornell? C'mon, really? Chris Cornell kills over Tom Keifer. Cornell is one of rocks finest singers EVER and Tom Keifer is a trivia question at best. Now sure, Cornell doesn't sing as well as he did in his prime but Birth Ritual or Hands All Over SLAYS Shake Me or Don't Know Whatcha Got. This is like asking who's the better fighter, Ali or that Screech kid from Saved by the Bell.

3. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    What he said.

4. Steve Harris Is

Steve Harris Is

Jul 4, 2005
    Hey, I happen to agree with ya but I am trying to see if I am losing it because a guitar player pal of mine has said he thinks Chris Cornell is just an example of a guy "with a good vocal coach" and feels TK from Cinderella is much better.

I feel like I woke up in Bizarro world today but I wanted to get other thoughts first...

5. Steve Harris Is

Steve Harris Is

Jul 4, 2005
    Amen again. Hey, which Spector you own? Spector Legend 4 was my first "real" bass and I still love this thing man. Sound is amazing and tuners are just mint.

6. ihateusernames

ihateusernames

Jun 26, 2006
    wow...they don't get much better than Chris Cornell. Tom Keifer??? Not even in the same realm, it's amazing how long mullet rock can survive on memories. (I'm actually a fan of Cinderella and Tom's voice)

7. Cornell will historically be viewed in a vocal category with Robert Plant and Stephen Tyler IMO.

8. Steve Harris Is

Steve Harris Is

Jul 4, 2005
    Are any of you guys over 30, that was one point my pal mentioned, that under 30-35 guys would of course lean towards Cornell as he's more relevant of late.

9. I'm 36, and for the record, have two Cinderella records on vinyl and have seen them in concert at least once. They were a decent hair metal band whose music and style have aged poorly. On the otherhand, I have ALL the Soundgarden records and both the Audioslave albums, and even the Chris Cornell solo thing. Badmotorfinger and SuperUnknown are practically classics and they still hold up today (IMO). And Cornell is just awesome, really.

10. 36.

Dude, I'm in a KISS trib band. historical perspective, I got! :)

11. Steve Harris Is

Steve Harris Is

Jul 4, 2005
    Cool, thanks. So I would imagine you're the "Gene" eh?

12. ihateusernames

ihateusernames

Jun 26, 2006
    Uhh, I'm only 33 and grew up playing 50's, 60's and 70's rock. Turned into a teenage metalhead and hairband emulator, got Long Cold Winter within a week of release.

To restate, Cornell is in a completely different class. Tom Keifer is in a lesser class. In my opinion. Few people care for my opinion with most things.

13. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    I'm 36 and I really didn't like Kieffer's voice back in the day. I just like CC's voice better than Tom's

BTW, I have a Euro 4LX and it sounds and plays awesome. It's a little different animal than the older american made NS-2 and even the NS-2A's I've owned. I think the Tonepump has a lot to do with it since the older Spectors had the Hazlab circuitry.

14. This is kind of a weird comparison isn't it? Maybe a more difficult issue would be Chris Cornell vs. Mark Lanegan or Layne Staley. Or Tom Keifer vs. Klaus Meine (Scorpions).

15. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Layne Staley and Klaus (Culeefornia, you keep me burning!) Meine.
    Personally, I love Layne's brooding vocal style. He and Jerry really meshed well.

16. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Wow. I haven't heard the name Tom Keifer in a long time. I actually saw them perform live back in the 80's with Lita Ford and Poison. I'm 33 by the way.

I never really cared for Tom's voice. It has a very abrasive quality; which isn't bad, but it sounds as if his voice is going to cut-out at any moment.

For my taste, I have to go with Cornell.

Joe

17. ihateusernames

ihateusernames

Jun 26, 2006
    lol, it does, i saw them last year and he crapped out a few times more than you would expect for someone who's been at it for that long. it's like ric flair i guess....maybe someday it will be over...and you'll find yourself missing him?

18. Steve Harris Is

Steve Harris Is

Jul 4, 2005
    I think my bud who likes Tom from Cinderella must know he's semi-nuts to think he's better than Chris C but as I told him it's one thing to prefer him over Cornell, but to say he is a better singer, well that's just sheer blasphemey!

I saw CC when he was with Soundgarden at the Lollapalooza with Red Hot Chili Peppers and Pearl Jam and lemme tell ya, when he broke into some of the higher parts on "Jesus Christ Pose" there were crowds of people flocked near the stage just in sheer awe. It was amazing.

19. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    Yea but guitar players are notorious for not knowing s**t :bassist::D
    Most of them can't figure out how to use the different ohm outs on a Marshall.

20. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    If you're talking about simply the best male vocalist...neither. I would nominate Paul Carrack. When I wrote songs with my old band, I knew I wasn't good enough to do what I heard in my head, and nobody who auditioned was any closer. Years later I heard the singer that I had heard in my head. It was Paul Carrack. The female voice I occasionally heard was very like Joan Osborne on Standing In The Shadows Of Motown. Rent it and listen to her do What Becomes Of The Brokenhearted.

For Paul's voice, listen to any of the following:
    Ace - How Long Has This Been Going On?
    Squeeze - Tempted (This one is several singers alternating. Paul is the lead vocal 'I bought a suitacase...')
    Mike + the Mechanics - The Living Years