Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who is the Funkiest UK Bassist?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Julian Crampton

5 vote(s)
    2.4%
  2. Pino Palladino

59 vote(s)
    28.0%
  3. Stuart Zender

66 vote(s)
    31.3%
  4. Alan Gorrie

6 vote(s)
    2.8%
  5. Randy Hope-Taylor

12 vote(s)
    5.7%
  6. Andrew Levy

6 vote(s)
    2.8%
  7. Paul Denman

4 vote(s)
    1.9%
  8. Phil Mulford

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  9. Nick Fyffe

2 vote(s)
    0.9%
  10. Mark King

21 vote(s)
    10.0%
  11. Gary Crockett

3 vote(s)
    1.4%
  12. Paul Geary

3 vote(s)
    1.4%
  13. Someone I missed!

23 vote(s)
    10.9%
  1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Listening to early Jamiroquai and Stuart Zender got me thinking about how often music comes out of the USA only to have UK musicians put a totally cool spin on it and make it sound fresh again. That said, several British bassists really stand out to me as grooving and funky: Randy Hope-Taylor and Julian Crampton from Incognito, Stuart Zender, Allan Gorrie from AWB, and Pino Pallidino, especially his work with D'Angelo. I can think many other groups whose bassists I cannot name. One whose name slips me was the monster fretless funster from Lynx back in the early 1980s. Who else from the UK can you guys think of?

2. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

To me, Mark King from Level 42 is the funkiest UK bassist.

3. Al Caldwell

Al Caldwell

Mar 18, 2003
    St.Louis , Mo
    AWB for Me,will set you free! Al Caldwell

4. Larzon

Larzon

Jan 15, 2005
    Mark King

5. Mark King on the early Level 42 stuff was great, but my current favourite apart from Stuart Zender, is a guy called Andrew Levy from Brand New Heavies, some quite simple basslines (just how I like them), but very groovy and funky.

6. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove

Wow, are we related?!?!?!:D
    My thoughts exactly!

7. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    Pino's Welsh isn't he? He was playing at the Swansea Blues Club in town a couple of months ago, but I was in Dorset at the time.

8. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Keep the replies coming. I'm really enjoying this thread, the last few days I have found myself getting back into the music more which is nice because I really think that I have aloowed myself to be obsessed with gear. I'm just happy to remember why I love music again.

9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Cool! I had to sell everything but an acoustic guitar for 3 years to remember how to listen... and to become a fan of music again.

(I added Andrew and Randy to the poll for you)

10. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Thanks for the additions James.

11. +1 for Mark King! Issue 15 of Bass Guitar Magazine has an article on him and his percussive style of play, AND technique demonstration. Just like some of these pickin' Nashville guitarists that use fake nails on their second and third fingers of their picking hand to pull off their stuff, King puts some type of black tape/piping around his thumb knuckle to keep it from getting killed, I'm sure. Reading this article about a year ago gave me some great insight into his technique, making me raise my bass a couple of inches and allowing me to do all kinds of things with the right hand - from an easy slap/pop to pluck transition to multi finger-picking and "flicking."

12. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Where's Paul Denman? I think he should be on the list...

MM

13. ;) Great minds think alike.

14. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I refuse to choose just one of these guys. Btw, slapping is not funk, it's just a technique. Rocco didn't slap, was he not funky?

15. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Come on Woodchuck, pick one for fun! I realize these guys represent different styles and eras, but no poll is perfect.:)

16. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!

LOL! Okay, Stu it is! Btw, we could make valid cases for Mikey Hay (Culture Club), Nick Beggs (Kajagoogoo), John Taylor (Duran Duran), Paul Turner (Jamiroquai), and Ready Freddie Thompson.

17. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    What ever happened to Stuart Zender after parting ways with Jamiroquai?

18. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  19. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    Isn't Paul Denman in LA now??

20. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Mark King! Seen him here in the States 4 times, backstage 3 of them, on the tour bus once!

The black stuff on his thumb is 3 wraps of electrical tape. I asked him about it, and story is that he was playing some shows across a weekend, on the first nite, he busted open the callous on his thumb...blood all over the place. He went and got stitched up, but couldn't play like that, so he tried a band-aid. No luck there, he tried cotton balls with masking tape, that didn't work...he tried gaffer's tape (duct tape here in the USA), but that gummed up the strings. He finally tried electrical tape, and it provided the protection he needed, without messing up the strings. He was impressed by the attack it gave him, and kept it.