Who is the greatest rock bassist?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by patrickroberts, Oct 19, 2000.

1. patrickroberts

Aug 21, 2000
    Wales, UK
    I personally believe that either John Entwistle of The who or John Deacon of Queen, are 2 of the greatest rock bassists ever? Any others people want to propose?
  2. Joe Osborn.

He's played for them all too. The guy's been on literally hundreds of hits (and even more non-hits) and has provided the bottom for so many influential records.

When I look back to the songs I grew up hearing on the radio when I was a kid, I swear Osborn played on half of them!
  3. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
  4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Ditto. Ged's the MAYHN for rock stuff. :D
  5. Mike Dirnt!!!!!

(I'm alone on this one arent I :))
  6. hey ya know mike's an awsome player too. one of my faves but i had to say rayna cuz shes sooooooooo hot
  7. Juli

Oct 15, 2000
    Flea flea flea!!!!!! no one plays better. Except the bass player Johnny from Jersey, but none of you probubly know who that is.
  8. Peter Hook. Without a doubt.
  9. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Tough one to choose. So many to consider. Unfortunately, a lot of the newer guys haven't been around quite long enough to qualify, even though they really are good (Eric Wilson, Tony Kanal)..others have been around, but do they really deserve it (Tony Levin, Flea)...so that leads me to the old masters. I'm torn between two guys. Both have been around for decades, both were flashier in the early years, and backed off pizzazz in favor of content as time passed, both are recognized instantly (well, I think) for their role in the history of rock, and both are still around......so, I'm giving it a tie between (drum roll).....

Paul McCartney and Jack Bruce
  10. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Lemmy, ofcourse. Afterall, he has a autographed pic of
    Hitler, you can't really do better than that!
  11. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    since this thread is based completely on personal opinion, i will say phil lynott (for his total songwriting abilities), bill wyman and geddy (for just being the man, although most RUSH stuff bores me).
  12. Billy Sheehan, of course. He's the greatest rock-bassist in the world!!!
  13. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I'm moving this to "Bassists" now.

Will C.:cool:
  14. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Dee Dee Ramone. No contest.

15. wolfmn26

Sep 11, 2000
  16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Geddy Lee is da man, although McCartney has the most influnce among rock, and of course Jamerson has the most influence of all.
  17. Geezer Butler.. without a doubt
  18. snfjtu

Oct 3, 2000