Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who is the most famous guy who played bass or are playing?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by zack01, Aug 16, 2002.

1. zack01

zack01

Aug 3, 2002
  2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  3. I'd say Victor Wooten is probably more popular than anyone. Among the general public and players alike.

4. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Les claypool is far more recognized than Wooten by the general non-musically gifted person and Flea possibly more so than that. For better or worse.....better IMHO.;)

5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Yep.
    Or Sting.

In USofA, Will Lee.

6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Sir Paul, easily.

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Ok zack, you convinced me that you dig the Beatles. Relax.

8. i'm gonna say Sting...

9. fadlan bassman

fadlan bassman

Oct 23, 2001
    Austin,Tx
    flea or les claypool , nobody i know (outside the bass players i know) :confused: knows who vic wooten is.

10. What about Pres Bill Clinton??

Oh yeah, he plays sax and fishes for bass, not......:D

11. thageeze

thageeze Guest

Aug 4, 2002
    Niceville, Florida
    id have to say either sting or paul mcartney due to the fact that they sing vocals, alotta my friends dont kno who vic wooten is and some dont even kno who flea is, alotta them recognize les claypool, but id say about 99% of them kno who paul mcartney and sting are

12. BassMann2112

BassMann2112

Jun 21, 2002
    Fact: Paul McCartney is the most popular bass player ever.
    End of story.

hey now... I didn't say he was the best bass player ever, however he is definataly in the top 10.
    Paul is bigger than Sting. IMO

13. Well, I know alot of people who don't know what a BASS is much less know of bass players, but I'd have to say Paul McCartney, Les Claypool and Flea.

14. Pharmecopia

Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    i might be crazy, but all the cats around me agree that your answer is jaco :cool: .

15. QTraXQ

QTraXQ Guest

Aug 16, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    Paul is not even a great Bass Player.But probably the most well known.

16. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Victor Wooten
    Les claypool
    Flea
    Will Lee
    Sting
    sheryl crow
    jaco
    Paul McCartney
    These are chosen so far. Between them and anyone else you want to throw into the mix:
    Who has had the most hits? Who has has the most #1 hits? Who has the most recorded song of all time? Who has had the longest career? Which one would even your grandmother likely recognize? The "most famous" question is very easily answered.

17. Well I might be to metal oriented but Steve Harris is a very famous bassist + songwriter. As is Cliff Burton (RIP). I would throw Flea in there aswell. These are just what bassist my friends recognise and think is great.

18. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Have to completely disagree and agree with you at the same time.

And come on guys, let's get real....no one here has mentioned the awesome bass skills of bass god and Winger band leader....Kip Winger!!! With classic hits like "She's Only Seventeen," he's easily the world's most well known bass player.

[​IMG]