1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who is the smartest guy on TalkBass?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Axtman, Dec 17, 2020.

1. Axtman

14 vote(s)
    8.0%
  2. Axtman

5 vote(s)
    2.9%
  3. Axtman

11 vote(s)
    6.3%
  4. Axtman

16 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. Axtman

7 vote(s)
    4.0%
  6. Not Axtman

122 vote(s)
    69.7%
  1. Winslow

Winslow

Sep 25, 2011
    Group "W" Bench
    Mr_Moo, 12BitSlab, hbarcat and 12 others like this.
  2. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    It's the person who spends the most time talking to him- or herself. It's common knowledge that most people will address their remarks to the most intelligent person in the room.

3. AudioTaper

AudioTaper Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2018
    Is this why I don't get many replies to some of my new thread posts?

Mr_Moo and Ricky Rioli like this.
  4. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    Consider yourself lucky. Far too many of my threads receive no replies at all.

5. JDLowEnd

JDLowEnd Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2010
    Norwich, CT
    If I took this seriously my first initial answer is @agedhorse
    Then I saw the comments, and realized I am not funny enough

Mr_Moo, DrMole, 12BitSlab and 5 others like this.
  6. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    Interesting how a lot of folks think of "smart" as meaning to having a lot of knowledge. To me being smart means having a high IQ (like moi :) ), but it is entirely possible to have a very high IQ and know nothing. On the other hand you can know a huge load of things without having a particularly high IQ. On balance it's probably more useful to know a lot of things than to be able to get a high score in an IQ test.

Mr_Moo and biguglyman like this.
  7. AudioTaper

AudioTaper Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2018
    That brings to mind the time I just started working in the repair shop at a local music store chain (small local place)
    The other amp/electronics repairman was an older guy who had been there a few years and was having a hard time keeping up with the amount of repairs and was completely lost on newer amps with DSP and SMT construction.

So a customer brought his tube amp back in AGAIN because it wasnt fixed. The repairman talked for a solid 5 minutes about the history and development of the tubes it used and all these technical specs. Smart guy, he knows a lot about tubes.
    The customer cut him off in mid sentence and asked, "That's great and all, but do you know what's wrong with it? Can you fix it?!"

Repair guy just stared at him with a blank expression...

Customer was mad and went to storm out, but the store manager calmed him down. The other part time guy (who really was smart and could apply his knowledge) took a look and got it going. It was something kinda stupid like the coax cable for the reverb tank.

That older repairman was asked to find another job not long after that. Smart guy, didn't 'know' crap.

8. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    See, I think we all know the answer is @agedhorse ... but where's the fun in stating the obvious?

Mr_Moo, 12BitSlab, lowplaces and 2 others like this.
  9. JDLowEnd

JDLowEnd Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2010
    Norwich, CT
    yea my seriousness level was very high when seeing this thread. I’ll recover shortly

Oddly likes this.
  10. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    AgedHorse

12BitSlab, lowplaces and AudioTaper like this.
  11. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1

Jun 11, 2012
    Richmond , Va
    Me, Like you, I fool people with my above average vocabulary. I’ve seen more than a few 95 centers posted on this board, so we are not alone.

Richard Martin likes this.
  12. Blueinred

Blueinred Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Greater Cincy
    Agreed. But, on the other hand, some "wave makers" (Hitler, Stalin, Castro, Sadam, etc.) don't push things forward, either. They just push. But that's a whole other thrilling thread.

Maybe I should have stated it the other way around. Saying precision basses are over rated might get you labeled the dumbest here on TB. TB is a pbass lover's lane. (Hint: I don't own a pbass.)

13. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

Since NOBODY got banned it must be me, because I married mrs. slo. That is the smartest thing I have done in my life. End of thread.

Mr_Moo, lowplaces and Oddly like this.
  14. I woke up with the groove this morning after an intense “maintenance” session with the wife yesterday evening .. nothing better than picking up one of my P-basses and start funkin’ up .. am I smart enough? Who knows :D:D

15. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    "Stupidity is hereditary. Ignorance is a choice."

16. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Can't help but notice the guy's not carrying a Precision bass.:)

lowplaces and Winslow like this.
  17. Winslow

Winslow

Sep 25, 2011
    Group "W" Bench
    I was actually waiting for someone to notice/point that out... :whistle:

Took a while. :roflmao:

:D

DrMole, Oddly and lowplaces like this.
  18. I was listening to the car radio when it was announced that the UK Chief Inspector of Schools stated that half of the schools were below average in performance and this needed to improve. I pulled the car over and thought about how long I still had to go in teaching before I could get away from these people.

Mr_Moo, DrMole and Oddly like this.
  19. DTRN

DTRN

May 10, 2019
    Twin Cities, MN
    I'm often told I'm bright...by guys that still have their hair.

20. DTRN

DTRN

May 10, 2019
    Twin Cities, MN
    That's the first person that came to my mind...and I still hold to it.

Oddly and 12BitSlab like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021