Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who Is This Fieldy?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by good fella, Apr 15, 2001.

1. good fella

good fella

Apr 3, 2001
    SD
    who is this Fieldy guy/lady? i keep hearing about this guy/lady and i'm wonderin' who the heck he/she is/was? i'm going to find out one way or another who he/she is/was and find out where he/she lives/lived! so will somebody explain who this guy/lady is/was?

2. Julian M

Julian M

Apr 12, 2001
    is this supposed to be funny?

3. good fella

good fella

Apr 3, 2001
    SD
    no! everybody posts stuff about Fieldy (whoever this is) and i'm wondering what the heck they're talking about?

4. Julian M

Julian M

Apr 12, 2001
    alright, i'll bite

fieldy is the bassist for the band "Korn"

people seem to think that he has little bass skill

5. funkmasterskilit

funkmasterskilit

May 12, 2000
    ok, let me but in before you get all of these other horrible fieldy bashing replies. Fieldy's sound compliments the band very well. Now would it fit any other band? I dont think so. But the point is he might not be the most talented bassist in the world but his sound meshes with the band well. And who are we to be criticizing him, he's probably just laughing at us while making his rounds back from the bank

6. hes a "bassist" who got rich off of "playing" crappy bass in a crappy band but yeah, hes rich and i'm not

7. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    OOps! i feel pontencial for another Fieldy bashing...

8. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Without being judgemental..... If you're looking for some new influences, Fieldy wouldn't be a good one unless your band sounds like Korn. As others have said, his sound is applicable only to Korn's sound and his style isn't really applicable to anything else either. The best reason to forget him is that he's publicly and proudly stated that he doesn't know what he's doing and has more interest in his shoes than his music.

Now here's something to think about....what would Korn sound like if Fieldy could and would REALLY play bass? What if he had a good tone? Would Korn be better? Can a good bassist improve a band who essentially generates noise?

9. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    I thought he was the DRUMMER for Korn. My bad.

10. sorry not tryin to start one!!

11. good fella

good fella

Apr 3, 2001
    SD
    and WHO is Les Claypool?????????

12. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico

[​IMG]

some wacky dude that used to play bass in Primus and now does lots of improv gigs... likes to play Carl Thompsons in any style (4-5-6 string/fretted or fretless).

check him out!

13. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    oh! and please stay the same and continue your musical journey, you are Ok if you don´t know Fieldy... unless you are a teacher and your students ask you about it... but still avoid this guy:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

14. funkmasterskilit

funkmasterskilit

May 12, 2000
    Les is just probably the best bassist who ever lived. Thats all

15. good fella

good fella

Apr 3, 2001
    SD
    every lie is another brick on the pathway to hell

16. funkmasterskilit

funkmasterskilit

May 12, 2000
    so , hmm, what are you trying to get at

17. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Did someone actually ask, "Who is Les Claypool?" Damn people, what rock do you live under? You must be under a rock, in a cave with the lights off, with nothing to read and no way to contact the outside world other than with mental telepathy.

Maybe there wouldn't be this problem if there weren't so many sub-par bassists around to confuse people. Anyone ever think that the music industry sucks ass lately? It seems to be a case of, "It's not who you know but who you blow."

18. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Who is this "Jahko" I keep hearing about? He played lute, right? ;) :)

Just yanking yer chain. Good Fella, listen to whatever the hell you want to.

btw, hategear, you could be standing out in the middle of the city with your ears open and listening to everything everyone says and still not know who Les Claypool is. I've yet to meet more than a handful of non-bassists who know who he is. He is well known in our circle, but beyond that, no one has a clue.

19. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    just goes to show playing bass won't get you famous, huh? :(

rather live in hell where the low notes are than in heaven where the high ones are, tho :)

20. Who are YOU good fella? You must be from another planet :D