Who is this Flea guy ?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Stu, Mar 17, 2001.

1. I have heard a lot of you banging on about some guy called Flea, but I've never heard of him !

What has he done that is so good ?
    Can he hold a light to a real Bass player like, Jack Bruce, Geezer Butler, Geddy Lee, Billy Sheen, Stanley Clarke or the man himself ? ( Jaco !!!)

2. BassDude24

Sep 12, 2000
    Are you serious, or are you just messing with us?

If you are serious however, there are plenty of people in here that will tell you who he is.
  3. if you are serious, and since no one else would answer your question, he is the bassist for the Red Hot Chili Peppers.
  4. here's photographic proof;
  5. Mock,

Great reply
  6. Aha ! The light bulb flickers on, guess I'll have to check the chilli peppers out. Thanks

7. BassDude24

Sep 12, 2000
    Yeah, flea is great, but I wouldn't put him in the "God" category yet.

Comercially I don't know of a more successful "great" bassist, most of them are just good and apeal to the general public, but he can hang.
  8. Heavier Than Thou

Heavier Than Thou

Jan 25, 2001
    I suspect there are some that just like it when he gets naked on stage...

And please, no one post a picture of that...
  9. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Here's a pic of Flea playing in tighty whities with a gas powered torch burning on his head.
  10. Okay, I don't know what planet you guys are from but Flea IS in the class of all the aforementioned bassists. He may not be the greatest of all time but he certainly deserves recognition for being named with Jaco and the likes. I believe he is the only reason that the Peppers are still around. He holds the whole band together.
    No offense to Stu but I can't believe that anyone with any knowledge of pop culture at all, let alone a bass player would not know who Flea was.
    That said, Flea is one of my favorite bass players of all time. Maybe just because I like his music. Jaco is great and his music is classic but I like the Peppers better. I do listen to all of that old stuff too but it's just not my favorite.
    Maybe I just like Flea b/c I can come a lot closer to playing his stuff than I can those other guys.Not to say Flea's stuff is simple but it's more out front and easier to figure out from the cd.
  11. When you check out the Chili Peppers, the best albums to get would probably be "Mother's Milk", "Freaky Styley", or "Blood Sugar Sex Magik". Blood Sugar isn't a really a "chops" album but it shows the Chili Peppers when they were writing the best songs in my opinion. Freaky has some really flashy stuff, and Mother's Milk is in between. Blood Sugar is my personal favorite...
  12. Major dittto
  13. No real offense taken belair57 I would agree that I don't have much knowledge of American pop culture. But then I don't particularly want to either, pop music really doesn't do it for me at all. So if the Red Hot Chilli Peppers are a pop band I really won't check them out and with titles like Blood Sugar Sex Magik, Mother's Milk and Freaky Styley I would wonder, what are these people on about ?

I did think that Flea would most probably be in a rock band not a pop band. Never mind I think I'll stay in ignorance. I have actually seen a clip of the band before but didn't realise it at the time, the Light Bulb piture reminded me, my wife was watching a music show that was on in the middle of the night and when the band with light bulbs on their heads came on screen I must admit that I left the room and went to listen to something like Sabbath, Rush or Purple one of them anyway.

I'm grateful for the responses and at least I now really do know who Flea is.

14. I think I'd call their music funk-rock if anything, definitely not a pop band.

By the way Stu, where abouts in Newcastle are you from? My mum's from there, a place called Benton, are you anywhere near there?
  15. Oh it seems I didn't read you're profile. You aren't from America huh. Stupid me. Anyway, I was not saying that the peppers are a pop band but rather that they are well known in pop culture b/c they are such a popular band. That doesn't make them a pop band. I would agree with Hobbes in saying that they're funk-Rock.
  16. BassDude24

Sep 12, 2000
    If I didn't know who the Chille Peppers were, and I asked someone what I should check out of there's, I would hope that they would tell me to check out there earlier stuff.

I know that I was like eight when I first heard them, but I loved em', they were my favorite band, even through the Navaro years (which I liked by the way) Now however, it seems like they have evolved into more of a pop group rather than a rock group (Californication). Never the less, I can still put on an old album and fall asleap happy.
  17. You're absolutely right. I'm a little disappointed in them lately. I read an interview of Flea where he said he was trying to take a less is more point of view on most of the songs. That is crap. He's the best guy in the band and he needs to be doing more. Around the World is great but most of the other stuff doesn't hold a candle to anything on Blood Sugar Sex Magik.
  18. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Well..I can´t say I´m disappointed because I like Californication (well...I like all of them..), but I think Californication is overrated (at least in iceland..)
    But my fav cd´s are the oldest, and Flea´s bass lines are really cool.
  19. Hey BassDude24... I'm a life long die hard Peppers fan too. Got into them when Upilft Mofo came out in 87... (their 1st album available in the UK) I was 13, still my favourite band... always will be.

The Navarro years, hmmm he just didnt fit like Slovack and Frusciante... Frusciante is a true genius...

Apparently, on BSSM he recorded ALL the solos in one or two takes. If you have a listen to the solo on I Could Have Lied it's striaght from Heaven I swear... a work of art.

Also, their best album is Blood USgar Sex Magic, without a doubt... I love all their albums, but BSSM is a timeless classic... right up there with the best.

IMO: Flea is right up there with the best... he's not great cause he's technical, he's, as someone said on another thread, he plays stright from the heart.