1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

who is this wonderful bassist?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by funk generator, Nov 24, 2010.

1. funk generator

funk generator Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Johnson City, TN
    So i recently downloaded a Nintendo 64 emulator to my laptop, and as i sit here rediscovering the wonders of mario 64, i cant help but admire all the fun bass parts.

Anyone know who did the bass parts for the mario games? especially this one?

2. Wikipedia says that the music was composed by Koji Kondo. Are they actual bass lines, or is it synth?

3. funk generator

funk generator Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Johnson City, TN
    i cant really tell on if its real or synth. Are there any characteristics synth has that i can listen for?

4. I just listened to some Mario 64 music, and I don't expect a video game from that time period to have actual orchestral music... But that doesn't mean it isn't. I don't know how to explain it, but that just has a "synth-y" sound to it... :meh:

5. It definitely a synth. Koji Kondo did it all on a 'board. If you dig video game music check out Retro Remix Revue (). They remix tunes of old games and play them with a full band.

6. Duckwater

Duckwater

May 10, 2010
    USA, Washington
    A lot of old Nintendo games have music with great synth basslines

One of my bands plays the Goldenrod Theme from Pokemon Gold/Silver:

The octave jumps are challenging but it sounds awesome!