who is using Basslines stack jazz pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassman74, May 19, 2007.

1. bassman74

bassman74

Jan 2, 2007
    Montreal
    i'm looking for someone who tried the basslines stack jazz pickups. I'm looking for comments or reviews.
    thanks

2. bigfiddle

bigfiddle

Aug 25, 2006
    Dallas, Texas
    I've got the STK-2's in my Vette FL and I love'm!

3. i am and they are killer. totally nail the vintage jazz with no hum!

and the boost only pre in my jag makes for slap heaven.

dead easy to fit and stuff, give a nice bark when you dig in near bridge. i found there is very little humbucker tone and the single coil zing is still there (though the super bright top is tamed a touch) and neck PUP solo has buttery bottom (ooohh naughty :ninja:)

4. I've STK-j1's in my J-bass (Classic Jazz Stacks). Can't compare them to any others, but they give me a great sounding J-bass sound combined with my Aggie DB924. Nice slap sound too!

This is what BP magazine had to say in the J-bass pickup shootout:

1960s-like tone without the hum. A bit compressed although the highs have good snap without brittleness. “Tone’s in there-it just takes some work to get it out.”

Warmth: 3
    Clarity: 3.5
    Output: 3.5
    Amplified sound: 4
    Recorded sound: 3
    Value: 3.5
    (marks out of 5)

5. bassman74

bassman74

Jan 2, 2007
    Montreal
    thanks, i was looking for the stacks because they have a little less mids, they're suppose to give a slap heaven sound...
    you can always boost the mids for other things.

I found that BP was hard on some models, i think that in their shootout they based their notes on comparison for vintage sound. The closest the PU were from vintage sound the highest the notes were.... I think but i'm maybe wrong

Francois

6. well if its slap you want they defiantly give that, all i do is knock off a touch of treble on the tone pot for classic passive slap tone, but if i pop the active on, a little bottom end brings out the more modern slap tone.

7. bullT

bullT

Jan 17, 2006
    It have one STK-2 in the neck position, some growl, some punch, but not as a precission one...
    average output, I run it flat ....
    I am very happy with it, a lot more than with my emg 35 dc, BUT my emg is better to slap...

the stk-2 records bad in my boss micro Br, perhaps it isn´t well installed.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021