1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who is using Fat-Stacks all passive?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by basadam, Mar 5, 2008.

1. basadam

basadam

Nov 29, 2005
    And what are your comments? I see that everyone is using it with this or that preamp. I am thinking of putting a set on Lakland 55-01, without a preamp. I can use any outboard pre if I need to. The plan is also install two switches ('bucker/single - one per pickup).

What do you think?

2. Go for it. My Fatstacks are combined with an OBP3 pre, but I use it in passive mode all the time, don't need the pre at all. Also a BIG thumbs up for the coil split option, sounds great and I use it a lot. If you are not a heavy tweaker, the Fatstacks with coil tap probably offer all you need. Output is fine too.

3. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Sounds like a great idea. Maybe even consider adding a series-parallel option for each of the pickups as well, like the Fender Roscoe Beck basses (so you could select series-parallel-single for each pup).

Then... to go really over-the-top in terms of tonal options... install a series-parallel selector for combining the two pickups. some of the differences may end up being subtle, but hey... more is more! :) Stan at HAS Sound could probably make a pretty good wiring harness for this, along with other tweaky options like a phase switch, bass varitone, etc.

Seriously, tho... would love to hear sound clips if possible of how this ends up turning out.

4. basadam

basadam

Nov 29, 2005
    I already have the bass and the pups, waiting for switches (DiMarzios, hope they'll fit). The idea is not to drill new holes and use existing ones (there is 5). That's vol-vol-tone-sw1-sw2. I don't know if fat-stacks would allow me to switch between series and parallel in-pickup (that's for dual-coil isn't it?). The documentation doesn't state anything like that, only how to split the coils. Interesting though, if anyone would like to share how this can be done...

As per the series-parallel accross pickups; once I tried that with a J bass and didn't like it much.

5. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    i'm running my Fat Stacks / coil tap passive,, as i've never met an onboard pre that i like