Who Is Your Favorite Bass Player Of All-Time And Why ? ? ?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by 6stringtheorist, Apr 26, 2020.

1. Phillynative

Phillynative

Oct 5, 2020
    Wilton Felder. Very underrated bassist and like me he was also a saxophone player.

He’s also played some ICONIC bass lines!

2. northerngitbass

northerngitbass

Feb 25, 2008
    London
    Your reporter has great taste..!

Cheers man!

6stringtheorist likes this.
  3. John Webb

John Webb

Apr 20, 2006
    Turns out it's Brian Allen...

4. 6stringtheorist

6stringtheorist

Apr 3, 2020
    Yes Sir! And fond memories of visiting London and Surrey countryside with my Dad did not run into any rock stars though so sad had high hopes of sharing a pint with Clapton or Beck or Macca or . . . . . so many of the rock royalty seem to live around there or did and peace and good health to you my brotha! :D

5. 6stringtheorist

6stringtheorist

Apr 3, 2020
    Yeah man! Wilton was incredible and was the guy who drew me into the r&b and soul-jazz direction after many years of rock bass playing I must have wore out at least 3 copies of 'Southern Comfort' the bass and drums were huge on that double LP!

Phillynative likes this.
  6. northerngitbass

northerngitbass

Feb 25, 2008
    London
    Ah, cheers man! And to you too, of course!

7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Yep. Thomas just for pure drive. Easy-peezy Precision tone with lotsa percussion and character in his bass lines.

Running the rack on Elvis Costello tunes always brings forth new things for me to utilize in my own playing.

8. mrjp

mrjp

Aug 23, 2018
    Caledonia
    i am thinkin maybe john deacon too.

upload_2021-3-31_19-38-55.jpeg

9. kreider204

kreider204

Nov 29, 2008
    Super tough question. I suppose the bassist I'd choose to emulate in terms of technique, musicality, career, etc., it'd be Tony Levin. He's the man.

10. 6stringtheorist

6stringtheorist

Apr 3, 2020
    Yeah man there are so many great and inspiring players out there it really IS hard to pick just one! Jack Bruce got me started in music (see pic) but then it was a ton of other guys too stay strong bro! :)

kreider204 likes this.
  11. 6stringtheorist

6stringtheorist

Apr 3, 2020
    Great choice and dude had some hair as well :thumbsup:

12. stinkfoot60

stinkfoot60

Jan 16, 2021
    California
    Steve Harris. Up the Irons!

13. Billyzoom

Billyzoom Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2011
    Bay Area

Give you a break? The OP didn't ask who was the best bass player. The question was who was your favorite, regardless of genre, and why. Simple. Lots of people had fun with it, most have trouble picking one, some will pontificate, who cares? It's just entertaining and shooting the s***. Instead of critiquing it, how about you give US a break and simply play along? Or don't. Sheesh.

Allow me to condense your response to its essence for the others:

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah...I don't have a favorite...blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

14. Billyzoom

Mar 1, 2011
    Bay Area
    So many great ones have been mentioned. Unless I missed it, no one has mentioned one of my favorites, a musician of astonishing sensitivity and musicianship. The late Gary Peacock. Whenever I watch this clip in particular it makes me teary...such beauty, such taste, such emotion, such interplay.

15. Garry Tallent. I grew up listening to Bruce Springsteen and he is easily my favorite artist. Garry has been there for almost all of Bruce’s career providing incredible line with such a wonderful tone. He’s done some songwriting and has played tuba on a track or two. His playing has definitely been a major inspiration to me.

16. 6stringtheorist

6stringtheorist

Apr 3, 2020
    Right you are regarding the late great Gary Peacock and what a trio he had with Keith and Jack! I happened to attend college with his wife who was a charming art student in Seattle back in the early 80's. He was humble and very soft-spoken as I recall and did not play that much around Seattle because he was on tour much of the time although he did give private lessons when he was in town. They eventually split up possibly because of his busy music career. Yes he was one of the greats and along with Dave Holland was my favorite post-bop upright player.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    Billyzoom likes this.
  17. Lo Ki

Lo Ki Guest

Feb 19, 2021
    Geddy Lee

Billyzoom and 6stringtheorist like this.
  18. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Tim Hansen - Mercyful Fate.

Why?? Just listen to the 'Don't Break The Oath' album.

Lo Ki and 6stringtheorist like this.
  19. Cloven Hoof

Cloven Hoof Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2021
    Texas
    I can't reduce it to just a single favorite. It actually can change weekly or even daily. For sake of the OP's question I'll go with the bassist whose tone, melody, harmony, and meter really awed me when I first heard it: that one guy from the Beatles, we all know the name.

Billyzoom and 6stringtheorist like this.
  20. Billyzoom

Mar 1, 2011
    Bay Area
    I might have missed his name, but I don't think I've seen Abraham Laboriel yet...what a monster player, and on so many recordings.

tuckerllc and 6stringtheorist like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021