Who Is Your Favorite Bass Player Of All-Time And Why ? ? ?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by 6stringtheorist, Apr 26, 2020.

1. 6stringtheorist

6stringtheorist

Apr 3, 2020
    Yeah he is kind of forgotten these days. I first heard him on Al DiMeola's solo records and we saw Abe a few years ago playing with the Crusaders at a large outdoor winery concert. He fit in perfectly and was dressed all in white even his bass was white. Joe Sample and Stix Hooper were all that was left of the original members. And who was playing guitar you ask? Does anyone remember Ray Parker Jr.? He was pretty good too and a great rhythm player but not much in the solo dept. :)

5StringBlues and Jhengsman like this.
  2. Billyzoom

Billyzoom Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2011
    Bay Area
    Such a funky player...I'd never heard of him before listening to that.

6stringtheorist and BadSanta1281 like this.
  3. He's still funky at 73. I believe he's still playing with his son Jordan John.

4. Texaspandj

Texaspandj

Feb 13, 2021
    Heart Of Texas
    Picking your favorite bass player should be Easy. Picking the Best bass player is impossible.
    My all time favorite is Verdine White.
    I was 14 and my brother, my cousin, and I were listening to EW&F Gratitude album getting ready to pretend we were playing instruments. Not knowing anything about instruments, I asked my 14 yo cousin who actually played in a band, what was that instrument that I was hearing, that's what I want to play! He said Bass.
    To this day EW&F is still my all time favorite band, Gratitude is still my all time favorite Album and Verdine White is still my favorite Bass player.

Jhengsman and 6stringtheorist like this.
  5. Burt Cliffton

6stringtheorist likes this.
  6. 6stringtheorist

6stringtheorist

Apr 3, 2020
    Yeah Burt Cliffton forgot about him big influence on all the British guys we adore a skiffle guy who taught Macca everything he knew :D

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
    5StringBlues likes this.

7. He also replaced Stumpy Joe in the Lovely Lads which was a precursor to Spinal Tap.

I believe he owns a pudding factory now.

8. 6stringtheorist

6stringtheorist

Apr 3, 2020
    Right you are sir! I heard it was in the town of Lovely Dumpling near where Clapton grew up.

5StringBlues likes this.
  9. Barry Vestal

Barry Vestal

Nov 24, 2015
    Iowa
    George Porter Jr....(The Meters)....all those wonderful funky tunes!!

10. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

Oct 17, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Gratitude holds a special place for me because it was the first album for which I earned the money and bought on my own $4.44

11. UglyBuzzard

UglyBuzzard Gold Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2021
    Southern California
    John Entwistle and Jaco

12. jsbarber

jsbarber

Jun 7, 2005
    San Diego
    I have to say that one of most creative and musical bassists has got to be Bakithi Kumalo. Graceland without Bakithi is simply inconceivable.

13. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    well his story is incredible--only bass he could afford was fretless (because nobody wanted it) and when he tried to play with a commercial band they threw him out because he was nowhere near in tune, so he takes his bass to the village and played along with the traditional musicians, singers & drummers mostly where he could play a kind of melodic percussion and eventually learned where the Western "notes" where. After that he was like a one man rhythm machine

my favorite of all time would have to be Mic Karn because of those snaky deep groove lines. I saw him with David Torn and Bruford&White (electric trumpet after Isham)

14. consectaneus

consectaneus

Sep 23, 2016
    Probably my cousin Craig Headly. No one here has heard of him but he was a veteran of the heyday of the '70s and '80s when cover bands ruled the club scene. Every region had it's local legends, the nearly were and the never was. He was a bassist and vocalist who bounced around between bands in the central valley of California. Stockton, Lodi, Modesto--those places. I can't even remember the name of his biggest band, the one that filled the skating rink and made me so proud to say I'm related--the one that got a sniff of a recording deal that never materialized.

He eventually went on to marry and get a real job, but I thought he was the coolest. I still do. Last I saw him, he was retired from Nike. We reminisced about the old days and he actually complained of several physical maladies from his life in the musical trenches...neck pain from head banging, leg and foot pain from stomping, hearing damage. He really gave of himself. And he is a very good bass player.

My favorite people have actually heard of is probably Mike Mills. He is my contemporary, I like his attitude, skill, melodic up front Rickenbacker sound (the early stuff) and his overall musicianship regardless of instrument.

6stringtheorist and pfern like this.
  15. Jamerson,dunn,Babbit/McCartney.deep melodic,driving no step on toes bass,my preferred style of playing.

16. Geezer Bulter was my idol growing up I wanted to be able to write songs like he was writing.
    he was and still is a big part of what shaped my playing.

17. 6stringtheorist

6stringtheorist

Apr 3, 2020
    Sissy Strut is one of the greatest instrumentals and so much fun to play! And my God does George have a huge tone reminds me of the vintage Acoustic bass amp sound. Very articulate in the mid-range zone. ;)

honeydorick and Bajo Clarkko like this.
  18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021