Who is your favourite BLUES Bass Player?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Greg Hagger, Mar 30, 2020.

1. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I saw them a few times, awesome! Benoit is also funny as f*&$.

Paul New and el jeffe bass like this.
  2. All the cats named so far. Plus:

I'd like to mention Jon Paris who toured with Johnny Winter 1978-1989 and played for a ton of others. He also played harmonica at the same time when needed. Solid.

Also, Mike Judge who played with Anson Funderbergh and Doyle Bramhall.

And created Bevis and Butthead, King of the Hill, Office Space, and Idiocracy. :)

Leo Lauchie played great stuff on BB King Live at the Regal!

Wilbert Freeman on BB King Live at Cook County Jail.

John Riley from the first Son Seals record.

Anthony Willis on Albert King's "King Albert" disc.

3. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    Let me had Randy Jo Hobbs to the list.
    That guy killed it while playing with Johnny Winter.

4. Greg Hagger

Greg Hagger

Dec 1, 2018
    Berkhamsted
    Thanks, more bassists for me to check out. Excellent!

5StringBlues and Polish Thunder like this.
  5. I really like Jon's bass playing also. As someone who played blues harmonica for many years before recently picking up the bass, watching Jon play bass and harmonica at the same time is pretty impressive to me.

Last edited: May 1, 2020
  6. Paul New

Paul New Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2004
    deepest alabama
    Snapper with Son Seals.

7. Paul New

Jun 1, 2004
    deepest alabama
    I don’t know it for a fact, but this is either Keith Ferguson or someone who copped his style so well that you can’t tell. He had unique sound and feel, even playing a plain root note shuffle you can hear it.

2saddleslab, Polish Thunder and jerry like this.
  8. thirteendevils

thirteendevils

Sep 12, 2012
    UK
    Benny Turner, Freddie King’s younger brother.

jerry likes this.
  9. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Jon Blondell on bass.

TomB and 5StringBlues like this.
  10. Paul New

Jun 1, 2004
    deepest alabama
    He's a new favorite then.

jerry likes this.
  11. Paul New

Jun 1, 2004
    deepest alabama
    Did Keith play with this much dirt, or is it a recording artifact, etc...?

pachoate likes this.
  12. Paul New

Jun 1, 2004
    deepest alabama
    Allmusic says this was Bruce Barlow. Whoever, he put on a clinic for this show.

13. I am not 100% sure because there was multiple artist playing on the album, but it does song like Keith and he is listed in the credits.

Screenshot_20210318-194039_Chrome.jpg

A side note: Lou Ann Barton was married to Keith Ferguson.

Paul New likes this.

14. I vaguely remember this from 1968, I was 15.

redstrand likes this.

15. Man, this guy can play.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
  16. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

The late Jim Mouradian, formerly with Ronnie Earl and the Broadcasters.

klaatu, bobyoung53 and Haroldo like this.
  17. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

The Siegel-Schwall Blues Band, with Rollo Radford on bass, emerged in that 60’s blues revival era, but didn’t get as much notice as guitarist Jim Schwall would usually play acoustic instead of screaming electric leads.
    Still, they made the rounds; I remember watching this when it aired, but they also did a killer version of “Hush Hush”, where Rollo got a solo, but I couldn’t find a clip...

But here’s the track..

They would still get together in later years...

Then there’s this guy, who I believe is Mack Thompson(please correct me if I’m wrong), laying down some real deal stuff with the tragically gone too soon Magic Sam(playing a borrowed guitar)...

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
    jerry likes this.
  18. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

What Feral said, I was referring to the entire output of Jack’s career; he was first and foremost a jazz player, coming from classical training. He was talked into playing electric on a ska session, believe it or not. There’s a lengthy interview were he downplays his time in Cream(although it enabled him to have a career), that he was far more interested in and proud of all the various projects he did after, and that, while bitter enemies, he and Ginger(another jazz fanatic)were a bit dismissive of Clapton, as he was ‘just’ a blues player. I can see that; I recently went back to their live stuff after so many years, and found it kind of boring, except for the rhythm section, with all that endless droning over one chord. It would have been a lot more interesting over changes; Clapton, while certainly firey, pretty much plays every lick he knows and then runs out of ideas quickly, while Jack and Ginger are full of surprises.

19. This is a great thread. I love checking out bass players (and groups) that I am not familiar with.

What anyone likes music-wise and what they consider blues is subjective and there is no right or wrong.

I look at a bass player's resume. If most (or all) of their work is blues, then I consider them a blues bassist. Willie Dixon, Tommy Shannon, Calvin 'Fuzz" Jones, Johnny B. Gayden, Keith Ferguson, etc.

There are other very talented and versatile bassists that can truly play the blues but maybe that is not their mainstay. Jerry Jemmont, Nathan East, Duck Dunn, and Jack Bruce are a few off the top of my head that are not considered strictly blues bassists but man can they play.

I don't consider Duck Dunn and Jerry Jemmont as strictly blues bass players, but two of my favorite blues songs that I love and learned when I started playing bass, are Albert King's Born Under A Bad Sign and B.B. King's The Thrill Is Gone.

Keep posting your favorites! :thumbsup:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
  20. Thumpin6string

Thumpin6string Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Shoals Indiana
    I just recently found out that Jack Bruce played on Zappa's Apostrophe and was amazed at his funky and jazz fusionesque playing on some of the tunes, but when you say his name, it is always Cream that's the first thing that comes to mind. As for Clapton, you must have not heard his live album from the 80s where a good majority of the tunes were jazz oriented. His later stuff also leaned to jazz including his live versions of Layla.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021