Who is your favourite BLUES Bass Player?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Greg Hagger, Mar 30, 2020.

1. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Not strictly blues but Randy Jo Hobbs, who played with Johnny and Edgar Winter was a pretty good blues player. Tommy Shannon, of course.

cusar5, Jeff K, kobass and 3 others like this.
  2. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

If all someone can think of when his name is mentioned is his two years in Cream, they don’t know Jack. Or his 50 year career. His string of solo albums, many featuring compositions with far more depth than anything Cream put out, his work with Tony Williams, John McLaughlin, Carla Bley, Kip Hanrahan, and so on, his explorations in latin music. That’s what he found more satisfying as an artist. Whenever he would revert to dabbling in a Cream-like format like West, Bruce & Lang or BBM, it always sounded like a step backwards, trading on nostalgia in order to pay bills. You mentioned the one-off Zappa track, which Jack actually wasn’t happy about, but have you ever listened to his work on Lou Reed’s Berlin album? Those basslines are mini-compositions unto themselves. As for Clapton, please cite the ‘jazz oriented’ tunes in particular. Jazz oriented doesn’t equate with actual jazz, and I could never see him being a threat to someone like, say, Kenny Burrell or Joe Pass, yet on Things We Like Jack was bringing his best Mingus moves. There’s a clip of Clapton, in his prime, barely keeping up with Buddy Guy.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
    lfmn16 likes this.
  3. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I didn't read through the thread, so I'm sure he has to have already been mentioned. But one of my favorites was Jerry Jemmott. The first time I heard him (that I'm aware of, anyway) was on B.B. King's "Live and Well" album. Here's an example from that 1969 album. He's just so tasteful with his playing...

4. The man. An inspiration to many, not least of whom includes Jaco.

Jeff K likes this.

5. He used to do work on my basses, very good luthier too.

klaatu and Paul New like this.
  6. Paul New

Paul New Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2004
    deepest alabama
    Benny Turner was the only blues bass player I know of who, as far as I can tell, ALWAYS played with a pick. The groove did not suffer.

As for Jack Bruce, he could play through a blues, sure, so could JPJ and especially Bill Wyman, but this is more about the guys down in the trenches. I think. Isn’t it?

Polish Thunder and JMacBass65 like this.
  7. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Indeed he was. Handled my SO’s guitars. Worked wonders on some of her prized Strats. His shop was an amazing place.

He’s missed.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  8. When I'm back I use his son now, he's good too, he moved the shop, Mouradian Music.

9. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Met him briefly when we were there. Glad to see the tradition continues.

We’re down in southwestern CT about 50 miles out from NYC. So running up on a lark isn’t too practical. But if we need any serious work done on something you can bet we’ll make an appointment and head on up. :)

bobyoung53 likes this.
  10. Paul New

Jun 1, 2004
    deepest alabama
    Jeff Turmes was solid on a ton of stuff.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
    el jeffe bass likes this.
  11. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Freddie King was awesome. And "Big Legged Woman" is my favorite song for playing along with on his "Texas Cannonball" album...

Paul New likes this.
  12. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    Blues bassists? Not sure I can whittle this down to one player! One of the biggest influences on my playing when I was starting out was Willie Dixon. I loved everything about his playing. Then came the guy I tried to copy the most, John McVie. These days I listen to Hutch Hutchinson, Reggie McBride, Freddy Washington and Nathan East.

FuzztoneCowboy likes this.
  13. Billyzoom

Billyzoom Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2011
    Bay Area
    i really enjoy Steve Evans, who has played for Chris Cain for years. Tasty. And plays a Squier, no less.

Paul New and el jeffe bass like this.
  14. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Bootlegger guitars : S.I.T. Strings Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    The late Noel Neal

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
  15. pedulla-2007

pedulla-2007 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2008
    texas
    Michael, has roots grounded in Nashville, and is from their school of sound that less is best. After 25 years of gigging, the only blues player that thinks out of the box tastefully is Pino Palidino, IMHO!

16. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Got a show booked w/ Chris Cain in Sept.:thumbsup:

Billyzoom and pedulla-2007 like this.
  17. Billyzoom

Billyzoom Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2011
    Bay Area
    Super cool. If you've never met him you're in for a treat. The most humble, friendly, unassuming guy, who's a straight killer. Where you playing?

2saddleslab likes this.
  18. Paul New

Jun 1, 2004
    deepest alabama
    Sam Fish is back grinding out a tour, with a trio like a few others. I assume they have bills to pay. I don't know the bassist's name, but he is for sure getting it done with that Mustang.

TomB likes this.
  19. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    It's part of a Saturday night concert series at The Lodges at Eagles Nest in North Carolina.

Billyzoom likes this.
  20. I believe that is Ron Johnson on bass

Paul New likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021