Who is your favourite BLUES Bass Player?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Greg Hagger, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Since you brought up Samantha, who is from my home town, here’s another local girl made good, Danielle Nicole(Schnebelen), currently out on her own...

...but before had a trio for years with her brothers....

Polish Thunder, Paul New and jerry like this.
  2. Paul New

Paul New Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2004
    deepest alabama
    Big Mojo Elem. This is another one-if a bassist wanted to learn to play blues, he could probably learn to do credible job just by copping the lines and feel on this album. Well, except for the tuning.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
    5StringBlues and TomB like this.
  3. kreider204

kreider204

Nov 29, 2008
    John McVie is who I came here to say as well.

Paul New and chris_b like this.
  4. Paul New

Jun 1, 2004
    deepest alabama
    I don't know who he is, but he makes me want a 5 string jazz again.

Polish Thunder and el jeffe bass like this.
  5. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Willie Dixon and Bill Wyman.

cusar5 and Hoyt like this.
  6. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    We shared a gig last year and got to chat. Regular guy, must be a bass player. We both like 5’s for this material. ...cause we lazy :). I did get his name, but it was awful loud in there and I don’t recall it.

Paul New, jerry and el jeffe bass like this.
  7. Here is Kingfish playing on NPR. This young man has both a great voice and some serious guitar chops.

I believe it is the same bass player. He is listed as Paul Rogers.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
  8. cusar5

cusar5

Feb 17, 2008
    Planet Iommia
    Berry Oakley, as long as you're looking for a more "progressive" approach to the blues. His playing is too busy to fit in with a more classic blues style, but the Allman Bros. "At Fillmore East" is a milestone for prog-blues-rock-jazz bass.

TN WOODMAN and jymyben like this.
  9. Paul New

Jun 1, 2004
    deepest alabama
    He uses the B string a little bit, tastefully. Sounds like maybe an octave pedal too. Who were you playing with?

10. Paul New

Jun 1, 2004
    deepest alabama
    I think Berry O was a great musician, but his playing was no busier that most other blues players of that era. In fact, sometimes he had to simplify more than most because of all the other rhythm going on in that band. His sound and feel were remarkable.

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  11. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Jeff Salisbury Band

Paul New likes this.
  12. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar Jazz & Cocktails

Apr 17, 2005
    Central Pa
    I played a bunch of shows with Castle & Stutso when I was with the Billy Price Band - we would open for one another and do epic double band sets. Those guys in the ‘Hawks are the real deal.

Paul New, TN WOODMAN and jerry like this.
  13. bassie12

bassie12

Aug 23, 2008
    Colin is a great player and a true British gentleman. I was fortunate enough to work with him for a week in the 80s. Some life lessons learned, and that ‘63 lefty Precision....

14. Cloven Hoof

Cloven Hoof Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2021
    Texas
    I really appreciate Billy Cox and Tommy Shannon. Both played bass with multiple great electric blues guitarists. Both bassists had very different and distinct styles, techniques, and tone. Both could venture into other types of music, both are clinicians at the instrument. As with any favorite question, I can never rationally choose just one

2saddleslab likes this.
  15. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Billy Price is great, I wish he sang on all those Buchanan albums. The album he did with Otis Clay before he died was also excellent.

Paul New, TN WOODMAN and Jason Hollar like this.
  16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021