Who Is Your Favourite Grunge Bassist ?????

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by sweet_pete11, Jul 7, 2002.

1. Ben Shepherd - Soundgarden

13 vote(s)
  2. Krist Novoselic - Nirvana

35 vote(s)
  3. Mike Inez - Alice In Chains

16 vote(s)
  4. Jeff Ament - Pearl Jam

38 vote(s)
  5. Other - ( Mudhoney, Mother Love Bone.... )

4 vote(s)
  6. A poll really wasnt needed for this thread to get the point across

7 vote(s)
  7. who cares? I hate grunge

8 vote(s)
  1. Grunge is definitly one of my favourite genres of music because they play with a certain style that is really wicket but my question is who is your favourite bassist for the seattle scene around the late 80's and early 90's ???????
  2. Jodaka

Jun 28, 2001
    Riverview, FL
    i voted for jeff. i like his work with pearl jam, temple of the dog, AND mother love bone...
    <cough> mother love bone shouldn't be on a seperate line... <cough>...

3. bassduder

Jul 30, 2001
    Canada, GF-W
    I voted for Mike Inez for his sheer musical talent. IMO I think Mike Inez is a very well-rounded musician, with a melodic-rock style. Whether it be "rootin" it for Ozzy on the No More Tears tour, or crafting melodic-rock lines for Alice In Chains, Mike is a very inspirational bassist. For some examples of his playing, you should check out No More Tears by Ozzy from his No More Tears album and Bleed The Freak by AIC.

FACT: Mike Inez also has played with ex-GN'R lead guitarist Slash with Slash's Snakepit and apart from his bass playing, he has a major in Saxophone and Piano.

4. hahahhaha grounge u do know for the most part those bands that you have in the poll hated the hole grounge name thing.o yeah i pick krist.i know kurt did some of the basslines any one have a clue which ones.
  5. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    You can't forget about Mike Starr, the original bassist for AIC. I love his lines and his tone on both Facelift and Dirt.
  6. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Ben Shepard!!! He was a friggin' loon, but the man could flat out play! Considering that most of Soundgarden's stuff was in 5/4 time, it was obvious that he had good musical timing and knowledge. Listen to the bassline on "Pretty Noose", brilliant!

Jeff Ament gets my vote though, his work in Vs. is insane.
  8. I'd have to say Jeff Ament of Pearl Jam. In fact, "jeremy" was the very first song I learned how to play.
  9. chimppimp

May 30, 2002
    i voted for jeff ament but i like noveselic overall nov is not my favorite grunge player hes my fav bassist for one of them
  10. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    I think you guys are forgetting about the best bass player of that time! I think the guy from stone temple pilots was the best! I was in a rock band back then and we coverd several songs from those bands! Pearl jam stuff put me to sleep! So did most aic stuff! Soundgarden stuff was even worse! But interstate love song and plush were fun to play!
  11. I voted Krist coz I love his crazy/freaky/groovy basslines. (Plus I love Nirvana)

P.S: Is(are) Alice in Chains really Grunge?
  12. chimppimp

May 30, 2002
    of course they are but im not sure that stp is b/c i mean didnt they come out after the grunge era and i know they def. have the grunge style
  13. I'd vote for Ament or Inez, but I don't consider Pear Jam or Alice in chains as grunge bands.. I think the "grunge" label was never very clearly defined.. As I see it, most bands denominated Grunge bands were put into that category for their concept and image and because they appeared in the market in the same era..
    (Doesn't anyone find more similitude between Alice in Chains and Soundgarden with, let's say early Tool than with Nirvana?)
  14. D'arcy from the Smashing Pumpkins.
  15. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    i always just assumed every "hard rock" band out at the time who wasnt glam rock, was considered "grunge."

i include everyone from smashing pumpkins and stp to nirvana and soundgarden to pearl jam and alice in chains as grunge.

i voted for mike inez as my favorite, but jeff ament is the king of the fretless :)
  16. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    ditto, very talented. Where's he at now?
  17. misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Courtesy of Allmusic.com:

"But after only one more release, 1996's Down on the Upside, Soundgarden would call it quits. Shepherd continued to record with others, appearing on Josh Homme's Desert Sessions series, the Ramones' live album We're Outta Here!, Peter Krebs & Gossamer Wings' Sweet on a Rose, and Mark Lanegan's 2001 solo album, Field Songs. Shepherd has also done further work with [Matt] Cameron, as part of another retro garage rock outfit, Wellwater Conspiracy, and guesting with the former Soundgarden drummer on Black Sabbath guitarist Tony Iommi's first-ever solo album, 2000's Iommi."
  18. chimppimp

May 30, 2002
    yes and no another genre that had come around was called alternative which smashing pumpkins was in and a lot of other stuff
  19. chimppimp

May 30, 2002
    still not sure about stp didnt they come around after or at least when they hit big they def. have the sound as i said before