Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who is your guitarist?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Skel, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I'd like to know about your guitarist. What guitars and amps they play, etc. I don't play underneath a very good guitar player and I know some of you do. It must be nice to lock in and just listen to somebody very good. I have to stop at rehearsals and explain to my guitarist that he's out of tune. Not complaining though - he's the lead singer and writes all the songs.

Skel

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

My guitarist is influenced by Kiss, Triumph, the Beatles, and the Partridge Family.:smug:

He is a very good guitarist, one of the best I have played with. Some would say in spite of his influences.:meh:

He owns several guitars, but his main player is a late 70's Gibson The Paul. which was a mid priced Les Paul model.

He plays through a Line 6 modelling amp.

His solos are very creative, not the standard blues scale + major pentatonic stuff that a lot of rock guitarists play.

MP3s in my sig, if you want to hear some of his work.

He writes most of our music, and was our lead singer up until 2003.

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    My guitarist loves the darkness. Also he likes the white stripes. He plays strats, a tele and a reverend is his main gutiar. he plays them all through a fender deville 410. He recently bought a fender cybertwin as well.

I play with a memphis les paul copy, a modded old school squier strat, some older teiscos, and a danelectro hodad. All this through a carvin Nomad 112.

4. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    no guitarist here, but you could ask me about my violinist and accordianist (um, accordianer? accordianologist?). :)

we used to have a guitarist, he played a Tele into a deville 410. he was a very tasteful player.

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    My guitarist is obsessed with 'his sound/tone'...it's pretty funny, actually.

I have played with this guy on & off since about '96 or so.

As of yesterday, he is playing a Tom Anderson Tele through a Victoria amp(resembles an old tweed Fender Twin).
    Last week, he was playing his Gibson ES-335.
    Other amps = Top Hat & Matchless.

Once upon a time, he played drums...so his rhythm playing is very solid & funky; other times, his comping sounds like a Jazz pianist.
    Solos? Rock & Bebop with some 'outside' stuff, too.

He's a character.

6. I play with 2 guitarists. My lead singer plays a Gibson Les Paul through a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and he recently got a Fender Squire Strat that he swears plays really well, maybe it plays well because it was a gift from his wife Ha Ha. My lead guitarist plays a Gibson Nighthawk and a Gibson Sg (Back Up Guitar) through Mesa Boogie F 50 combo amp. He also usues a Taylor Acoustic.
    Lead guitarist loves his equipment
    Singer /rhythem is a gear junkie and is for ever buying selling or trading. Other amps he's owned include Marshall JCM 800 which he deeply misses, and a Hiwatt head.

7. One of my bands has a theme:

Mike:
    Gibson Les Paul standard, ESP Stephen Carpenter
    Marshall JCM 2000

Jeff:
    Gibson SG 61 reissue, Martin D28 acoustic, Fender Strat
    Marshall JCM 900

Matt:
    Gibson Les Paul standard
    Marhall JCM 2000

Other band

Josh:
    Godin something or other
    Crate 50 watt something, and Marshall JCM 2000

Mike is the best guitarist i've ever had the pleasure of playing with. He's the type of guy that doesn't know a solo, and starts to play with the recording and you're like "wow, i didn't know you liked them or knew that solo" and he responds "i didn't, I was just kinda figuring out as I go". Pretty crazy, I hope to one day be at the point where whatever I think I just play. But he's just the singer. Gives you an idea of the wonderful caliber of playing I'm lucky enough to play with.

But like you always hear, what really matter is what you play! .... But on the other hand when I see other bands show up with such serious gear it bodes well for that band. Cheers!

8. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Andy is influenced mainly by Jimmy Page, Jimi Hendrix, Tony Iomi, then we jump to guys like Dave Mustaine, and a lot of modern metal out today.

He plays mainly a Epiphone Flying V, he also has a Epi Les Paul, and and older Dean. His rig consists of a Digitech GNX 3, Dimebag Darrell CFH, then into A full Marshall stack and a Tech 21 stack...in stereo of course. Flanging, phasing and chourus effects are way to cool in our rehearsal room!

9. I have 3 - 1 who is always there and 2 who swap-out on gigs.

My primary guitar player has 'been around the block' doing the cover/original/working band thing for a long time. He is also a sound man with lots of experience with sound equipment. He mods cheap fenders (Teles) with decent pickups for gigging - makes his own road cases and is a real 'working man's guitar player'. His motto is, "Play the gig, dude." Which, as I understand it, means do whatever it takes to get the job done.

His chops are really good, but he is much more of a 'get the job done' as opposed to 'jam on it and embellish' sort of player. Really compitent, reliable, trustworthy - the 'labrador retriever' of guitar players (and I mean that in the most respectful and complimentary way). No band sould be with out one! He is also the lead singer. He shares that role with Guit. player #2 - but when guit. player #3 is in the mix, he is the only 'lead singer' in the group and I have to step up and fill in vocally where possible.

Guit. player #2 is what I call a 'chameleon' musician. He can learn and play just about anything - but is most proficient in the guitar band stuff from the late 70's, 80's, 90's and today. I have been playing with him since we were 15 doing Rush, Zeppelin, Van Halen, Anthrax, Iron Maiden, and so on... Step back to the early 70's and late 60's and he is a little out of his element, but he still does an amazing job. Again, not one for embellishment or jamming. Very utilitarian and again, a perfect 'working cover band' guitar player. Always knows his parts - he is always there - you can count on him like you can count on the sunrise. He is the other lead singer and as lead singers go, he and guit. #1 can do just about anything - from AC/DC to 4 non-blondes to Bad Finger.

Guit. #1 and #2 both play through Line 6 heads and Marshall 4x10 cabs. Each has a boat-load of effects on the pedal board. Guit. #1 plays Fender Teles and Taylors - Guit. #2 plays a variety of guits that include, the Variax, a Strat, an Epiphone and a Yamaha, I believe.

Guitar player #3 is a 'part-timer' and is much more of a 'Rock 'n' Roll' jammer. Really shines on blues-based songs and doing leads like a lead guitar player should. Lot's of feeling, really gets into the part, great chops. He has been around the block, and around it again... got lost once or twice along the way, got back on track and is still going...

Guit. #3 Plays Strats that look like he rode them on his travels around the block. His amps... hmmm... one of them says, "Krank" on the name plate... not sure if that is a real name... and a 2x12 cab. I think he also has a Mesa Boogie.

I love playing with all these guys, but Guit. #3 is a ton of fun to 'jam' with. I, as a bass player, love to embellish (within appropriate stylistic limits) on our covers when the opportunity presents itself. This happens a lot more with Guit. #3 due to the lack of singing support - we tend to let the solos and grooves go a little longer - which opens the door to jamming a lot more.

So on an 'artistic/jammy' level, I dig #3 - on a 'play the catalog and really get the crowd going' level, #1 and #2 are tops! I guess I am pretty lucky!

--tz

10. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    my guitarist is a combination of jeff beck and eric johnson. he has a '57 reissue strat, eric johnson sig. strat, es-335, custom shop strat [champaign sparkle], twin reverb amps, marshall 50w and marshall 4x12 cab. he has a magnatone and a new amp. a juke something or another.

11. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    My guitarist is a joy to play with. He's been playing since the mid-60's. His influences inlcude Wes Montgomery, Howard Roberts, Lee Retinour, Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck. He has three guitars, but usually brings two to the gig. A Gibson Howard Roberts Signature, A PRS Santana SE, and a Brian Moore (not sure of the model). His main amp is a Trace Elliot Bonneville (a real nice limited edition tube combo with tone for days). He also uses an Evans (200W SS boutique combo amp). He recently ordered a Gerlitz tube amp (another boutique amp-it's supposed to nail a Fender Twin and a Marshall amp and both sounds can be blended). It should be a killer! Anyway, he can play fluidly in a variety of styles including rock, jazz and blues. He also is a great slide player as well. We're a three piece band and he has no problem mixing it up and keeping things fresh for an entire gig.

12. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    The guitarist in my band is pretty decent. But like a lot of guitar players these days, he can get a little crazy with his effects pedals. He has enough stuff to cover the ground of a small country. He plays a Paul Reed Smith through a Fender Delux Reverb.

For sound clips of my band check my sig.

13. mwm70

mwm70

Oct 27, 2004
    Baltimore
    Good friend since childhood, started our first band in 1985 been playing together on and off ever since. He has an AA degree in Jazz performance and is a graduate of the Roberto-Venn School of Luthiery. I have a built in theory instructor and guitar tech all in one.

Gear wise: A tele type bodied guitar he built at Roberto-Venn,
    into a Vox Tone Lab processor --> a Boogie 112 combo --> a home made slant 412 built to Marshall specs.

I may have finally gotten him to ditch the scooped eq in a band setting. It has taken me over 20 years but I think he finally understands. In all seriousness he is one of the few gui****ists that will at least try to prioritize the band sound over his own. Hendrix, SRV and a host of old school metal influeces have shaped his sound.

14. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    My guitarist also happens to be one of my closest friends - I would say his influences include Sabbath, Metallica, and 80s to 90s rock/metal... He's a very good player, especially when it comes to covers - and does a great job of playing the leads pretty much as written... I'd rate his shortcoming as not being that great at songwriting - I write most of our music, while our singer writes all our lyrics - and the guitarist writes his own leads, sometimes taking suggestions, sometimes not - and sometimes adds in something nice to go with something I've written...

He's currently playing through a Line 6 Spider II 150watt stereo head, pushing a Marshall fullstack - and plays Les Pauls... Fortunately, I've gotten him away from using a bunch of pedals - they were noisy as hell - and he's just using a wah, and the channel switching on his amp...

I think our set-up works because we're good friends, and I have as much guitar experience as I do bass experience - so I see both sides of things...

- georgestrings

15. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    Metallica...
    Equipment: ESP KH2 + Line 6 spider 2
    Some kinda Jackson + Roland Preamp + Marshall Poweramp

16. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    I play with a 16 year old guy really influenced by John Frusciante and Mike Einziger but even more by jazz guitar.Rulles playing with him.Plays a MIM Strat through a Marshall 50 watt DFX and uses a Boss Delay,Phaser,Chorus,a Digitech Whammy,Turbo Rat and a Crybaby.

17. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    my guitarist plays an epiphone sheraton thru a fender twin reverb resissue

in addition to his classic and indie rock tastes, he's a jazz guitar major. he's got a lot of talent and knowledge, it's fun playing with him

-jimbo

18. rjny36

rjny36

Jan 29, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    I have two guitar players. They could not be more different from one another, in terms of playing styles.

Guitar #1 plays a Fender Strat through a Marshall JCM 2000 head into a Vox cab of some sort. The man uses only 3 pedals, a distortion, a volume, and a wah. His influences are Clapton, Hendrix, SRV, Santana... the "big guys," but he has his own sound, so he doesn't come across as someone who's trying to emulate the big name guit-pickers. He's as fluid and adaptable as any guitarist I've ever seen.

Guitar #2 plays a Martin acoustic plugged straight into the PA. He has pedals, but doesn't use them very often at all. He's a solid, basic rhythm guitar player, and sticks almost completely to chords. He's the vocalist, and usually writes the lyrics and basic chord changes to songs. My favorite part about him is that he's basically The Unabridged Dictionary of Song! He knows the chords to every song ever written... this comes from his days of playing solo acoustic cover shows.

Our drummer is typically pretty solid, but he gets a little worked up when Guitar #1 is doing a great solo, and strays a bit from the beat, so Guitar # 2 and I make sure to double up so the drummer can find his way back.

19. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    CJ aka Johnnjy Rock. The man is sick! He plays a Firebird and an LP through a Marshall stack. He was actually a child prodigy.

20. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My guitarist is probably equal to me in skill, although its hard to compare between 2 different instruments.

He learned by playing lots of metal.. ie: metallica and ozzy osbourne, etc, so he has very good technique and 'licks' and soloing capability.

However his current style is quite different. He practices every type of music and our band has a very experimental feel, pretty much all encomposing when it comes to the elements of guitar that he applies.

He plays the top model Greg Bennet design guitar, in which he put in EMG pickups (81 and 85 or osmething like that) and it sounds swell. Hes planning on getting a HH telecaster in the future i believe, for less sustain, more funky feel stuff that we do.

His amp setup is currently up in the air.. we are hving troubles with a damaged amp and such.. hes planning on buying a Marshall 100 watt half stack, 412 cabinet.

He uses the Line Pod for effects, as well as a separate wah.