Who is your most underrated bassist?...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Claymore, Jul 29, 2020.

1. nabilhuakbar

nabilhuakbar

Jan 13, 2020
    Utah
    Nate is rock solid steady in Foo Fighters and I like the way he occasionally tries to sneak in a little flourish here or there. His playing with Sunny Day Real Estate is totally different and a lot more articulate.

2. crlujan

crlujan

Jul 26, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    Leroy Hodges of the Hi-Records house band. Check out some Willie Mitchell records to hear him.

The Owl and 5StringBlues like this.
  3. FuzztoneCowboy

FuzztoneCowboy

Jan 17, 2020
    Australia
    Dennis Dunaway of Alice Cooper, Jim Lea of Slade (incredible player, probably the best glam rock bassist), Prakash John, Rockette Morton of the Magic Band, Paul Gray of Eddie & the Hot Rods/the Damned (one of the best punk bassists ever), Boz Burrell of Bad Company, Paul Samwell-Smith of the Yardbirds, Greg Ridley of Spooky Tooth/Humble Pie, Andy Fraser of Free, Gerry McAvoy of Rory Gallagher's band. Dale Peters and Tom Kriss of the James Gang were killer players as well, and I feel that Bill Wyman's chops are unappreciated even though he's very well known, and Roger Glover of Deep Purple is a similar case (basslines on Machine Head are nothing short of fantastic). Tim Bogert was deservedly a big deal back in the day but he's a lot more obscure now among younger players, so I'd chuck him on the list too.

Semi Actuated, Durham52 and DogsNbeer like this.
  4. That would be the late Craig Gruber. I love all the stuff he did in his life, but some of the bass lines on Sabbath's 1980 Heaven and Hell album are absolutely KILLER.

deernaes likes this.
  5. TortoiseBass

TortoiseBass

Aug 26, 2020
    Will Caton (I think that’s how it’s spelled) from Red Wine Talk. A local band from my city in the UK. Give them a listen on Spotify. He does a brilliant job on ‘Define Alive P.1 & P.2’.

I’m pretty sure he doubles the guitar part a lot but he does do some good little follow up thingys (not sure what to call it) when a passage ends. They are a small band but definitely worth a listen.

MCF likes this.
  6. gigetto

gigetto

Sep 25, 2019
    Italy
    Mikey Craig of the Culture Club

danesdad and The Mighty 'V' like this.
  7. Raider Rudy

Raider Rudy

May 6, 2017
    So Cal
    Steve Rodby from the Pat Metheny Group!

8. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    GA
    Wonder whatever happened to Eric McAnn.

At age 16 he was ripping on these Mingo Lewis tunes

9. With you on nearly all of the bassists you mentioned, especially Greg Ridley and Gary McAvoy .
    Also a worthy mention is Bones Hillman (real name Wayne Stevens) driving much of Midnight Oil's powerful music.

10. gigetto

gigetto

Sep 25, 2019
    Italy
    The Mighty 'V' likes this.
  11. Yup, together with his predecessor Peter Gifford. They are (or in Peter's case: were) doing a great backing vocals job, too! :)

I recommend a watch of this 'Oils On Water' show from '85, which also has a great sound mix. And this is probably the most energetic start of all live gigs I've watched so far:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    Durham52 likes this.
  12. spartan1620

spartan1620

Sep 24, 2020
    From the guys I grew up on, Dan Andriano from Alkaline Trio and Roger Lima from Less Than Jake.

13. 2112

Apr 30, 2005
    Peter Cetera

The Mighty 'V' likes this.
  14. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    The one that spends more time playing than buying and shopping gear.

15. Rudyboy98

Rudyboy98

Jan 25, 2008
    South Bay, CA
    Nope.

He was the TOURING bassist for Bon Jovi. The recording bass player was always Bob Daisley. Now Bob is not underrated in my book, but may be for others. I don't see Alec as an underrated guy but he doesn't stand out either. The only reason I say that is that I don't think he wrote any of the bass material himself. But I'll stand corrected if someone knows more than I do.

16. marchone

marchone Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2009
    NYC
    The late Pete Quaife of The Kinks. Peter O'Hanlon of The Strypes.

17. Ross McLochness

Ross McLochness Living Room Bassist Extraordinaire Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2013
    Eden Prairie, MN
    John Glascock in the late 70’s Tull is about as good a pick player as I’ve ever seen.

B-Mac and Joshua like this.
  18. danesdad

danesdad

Feb 24, 2018
    Western PA
    Any love for Joe Bouchard?

Bajo Clarkko likes this.
  19. vertigo

vertigo

Sep 27, 2008
    Argentina
    Keanu Reeves. He wasn't that bad at all.
    Eg4h2HlWoAAzces.jpg

20. Oh dear. I just heard the sad news that Bones passed away! :(

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021