Who is your most underrated bassist?...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Claymore, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Outbush

Outbush

Nov 6, 2016
    Australia
    RIP.

Yeah, I'll edit.

I remember hearing this song at a party with a pool and watching a young lady of such loveliness I still remember it. Well, remembering it happening anyway, wouldn't know her if she popped up in my porridge. Perhaps I could just conjure up an image but I doubt its accuracy.

Not long afterwards - perhaps just weeks - Midnight Oil's (10 to 1 inclusive) came out and I think that back in those cold war days the young of Australia suddenly thought, "Hey, someone's worried about the state of our world just like us, and broadcasting it to our parents and their generation and things will get better now". Just how that might have happened; well who knew then and with 20:20 hindsight I wouldn't know now. I guess that's what our so many of our young people (and not just young people) are thinking right now.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
    The Mighty 'V' likes this.
  2. Bassface65

Bassface65

May 10, 2019
    Ohio
    Not sure if they can be considered underrated or not, but Ross Valory formally of Journey and Ed King from Skynard have always given me trouble learning their stuff.

3. Chad Michael

Chad Michael Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2001
    Pacific Northwest USA
    Add Melvin Davis

4. jetsaber

jetsaber

Apr 11, 2020
    Clairemont S.D.
    Eddie Branch , Matthew Seligmam , David J , Mick Karn. Paul Raven. Paul Gardiner ...

5. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    I nominate... Paul MCartney!

6. slapshot

slapshot

Dec 22, 2018
    SE Michigan
    Doug Stegmyere (?) Bassist for Billy Joel on 52nd Street. Good lines, good groove.

7. slapshot

slapshot

Dec 22, 2018
    SE Michigan
    Eddie Casillas - bass player on Bruce Dickinson's solo albums.

8. Ukgcom

Ukgcom

Nov 23, 2020
    The late Mars cowling / geezer from sabeth stole the show when thay were here.

9. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    I gave this band a listen after reading your post. Good stuff. I’m only seeing four singles. Hopefully they’ll have an album soon.

10. Erasmusman

Erasmusman One day I will master the bass. Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2020
    Upper Midwest
    For me, it's Dennis Dunaway of Alice Cooper. An example of his fine playing is Blue Turk on the School's Out album, incredible! (IMO)

11. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Ray Schulman from Gentle Giant. The whole band should have more recognition than they do, but Ray, especially, just kills it on bass.

B-Mac likes this.
  12. TortoiseBass

TortoiseBass

Aug 26, 2020
    Its unfortunate that Will has actually left now.

MCF likes this.
  13. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    Sorry to hear that. Like I said, good stuff.

14. gwangi

gwangi

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley
    Do you know what Fender Precision his playing, it's looks like satin red finish?

15. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    I've been listening to the Capricorn-era Elvin Bishop recordings, and Michael "Fly" Brooks was a wonderful bass player. Big fat but articulate P bass sound, cool walking lines, great funk grooves. Sorta like Carl Radle, he played direct and not-flashy lines but was never anonymous.

jte

16. Kawai2g4b

Kawai2g4b

Oct 7, 2018
    Norwood Fisher of Fishbone

5StringBlues likes this.
  17. Billyzoom

Billyzoom Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2011
    Bay Area
    I’d say John Doe from X. Not a groundbreaking player, but solid, aggressive, driving, writes songs and sings while playing.

Never her his name mentioned, even jere on TB.

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021