1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Who is your stage presence hero?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by lz4005, May 18, 2018.

Tags:
  1. NOLA bass55

NOLA bass55

Mar 17, 2014
    New Orleans
    Keely Smith-not a bassist, but I love her stage presence. And yes I do get some criticism for not being more lively on stage.

lz4005 likes this.
  2. antithesis

antithesis

Apr 1, 2005
    Cliff burton ... head bangs so hard !! I think my head would pop off!!

3. AlexBassMP

AlexBassMP

Feb 5, 2014
    Barcelona
    Coming frommy workout I was listening some swing music and Gunhild Carling came to my mind

Yes, she is not a bass player.. she only plays 22 instruments, sings, dances and composes...and he has the most exiciting energy on a stage I've ever seen in years

Passinwind likes this.
  4. Passinwind

Passinwind I am Passinwind and some of you are not. Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Bill Wyman and/or Charlie Mingus

5. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    Iggy Pop.

/Threat

6. danesdad

danesdad

Feb 24, 2018
    Western PA
    Les.

7. #1 Phil Lynott, #2 Benjamin Orr, #3 John Deacon...all three are cool as cucumbers...

8. arthurasmith

arthurasmith

Jan 14, 2018
    Rafael Buyo of Lucky Chops. This guys blows a mean sousaphone, and dances to boot. He is an incredible contributor to Bass craft, and a joy to watch and listen to.

9. j.kernodle

j.kernodle Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    Awesome, I didn’t know detective stabler from law and order svu played bass for stp!

Plucky The Bassist likes this.
  10. Gunther

Gunther

Jun 11, 2013
    Sleepy Ville, USA
    My mind is blown. That time and place, the spirit of the times ... these old timers laid the groundwork for what was to come. But for me none of the new stuff is original. Just more crass. Music had no where else to grow. Coryell is dead. Enough said.

11. Gunther

Gunther

Jun 11, 2013
    Sleepy Ville, USA

jackn1202 likes this.
  12. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    People who were the same age we are now probably said the same thing when that song came out.

13. Gunther

Gunther

Jun 11, 2013
    Sleepy Ville, USA
    She brings Louis Armstrong to the whitest guy on Earth... hhaha!

Raulplaysbass likes this.
  14. Gunther

Gunther

Jun 11, 2013
    Sleepy Ville, USA
    I've never been that lively on stage except under dire circumstance having more to do with making terrible players sound good by playing music properly on the bass. I suppose my showmanship is more toward Mingus throwing knives at players and placing a loaded gun on the bandstand because if you don't give it like he gives it, you're a dead you know what. Jaco knew this. Mingus and Duke were at the bottom of Jaco's music performance as it was Zawinul and Shorter. It was an entire school of thought in those days coming out of Miles in the 50's through Miles in the 80's. Miles. Ah, Miles. Miles ahead; Miles in the sky.

15. Bootsy Collins

16. Mildew Jones

Mildew Jones

Dec 18, 2014
    My stage move heroes were Pete Way (UFO), Michael Anthony (VH), and Kenny Aaronson (Derringer at that time). Kenny was so bad ass...I saw Derringer prob. 3,4 times in a period of 2 and a half years. He was banging on his bass with his fist, fingering notes with his right hand and sliding around, popping harmonics and hitting the neck to keep 'em going, all sorts of hard rock bad-assery. I loved the guy, copped all his stage moves (and wished I could play that well). Kenny just came thru town (San Diego) with The Yardbirds, I believe (missed em, dangnabit!). Rick Derringer had some stupid-good bands mid to late 70's, Kenny on bass, Danny Johnson on guitar, Neil Geraldo on guitar, Vinny Appice and Myron Grombacher on drums...I saw them smoke Led Zeppelin's muffin at the Sat. Day On The Green ('77), the infamous backstage row with Peter Grant/Bonham and Bill Graham crew. Rick and band were on fire, major energy in their show...Zep, as much I love them, were tepid, Page doped to the gills (but, hey, I can say I saw 'em).
    MJ

17. tumblr_m72q5gpfZ91rps25mo1_500.

18. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I've seen lots of great players with stage presence, but one of the coolest for over forty years has been Kenny Gradney from Little Feat, he just oozes cool as he kills it!

19. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Ain’t that the guy from Morphine?

sneha1965, 5StringBlues and lz4005 like this.
  20. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Montreal, QC
    Eric Avery.

Eric-Avery.

Gluvhand likes this.