Who knew so many great bass players could sound so bad.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Hopkins, May 17, 2012.

1. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    I may be in the minority, but nothing about this video besides Fleas part sounded good to me. I just don't get it, very little if any groove. and Stanleys tone just seems horrible.

2. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    Ha! I love one of the comments from the peanut gallery:

"Stanley Clark has terrible tone. He makes a $5000 bass sound worse than my $250 Squier."

Yeah, I wish I could get one of those basses for $5000!

3. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay
    Im shaking my head in disbelief... so many notes!!! He's bound to find the right one eventually... *fingers crossed*

4. Duckwater

Duckwater

May 10, 2010
    USA, Washington
    Eh I thought it was awesome, aside from the sound quality and a couple of the solos. I'm sure everyone there is much better than I am, but some of those solos were tasteless. Personally I love Stanley's tone, it sounds perfect for what he does. Flea was far too buried in the mix, his solo was great though.

5. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    I liked some more than some others but it is just a chance to take a solo, it doesn't have to be a groove ( in fact you don,t want to sound like you're grooving ), but it something very hard for bass player ... they don,t get how to sing instead of grooving.

6. nickbass79

nickbass79

Nov 11, 2009
    North Carolina
    I think all but Flea were trying to be flashy, flea and bunny brunnell (maybe)were very tasteful.

7. otherclef

otherclef

Aug 10, 2011
    Charleston
    Didn't we do this already??

8. Gotta disagree. In the context of what they were doing, I though it was a lot of fun. Sure there were some tone issues in the recording etc., but still...

9. Electric Druid

Electric Druid

May 20, 2009
    In part 2 I found Jimmy Johnson's solo to be quite good...

10. jackwell1029384

jackwell1029384

Dec 12, 2011
    god i hate videos like this, im gonna sounds really negative and everyone's gonna hate me but no one wants to hear 30 bassists slapping at once, slapping is the most worn out thing now, every man and his dog can do it and it's not even cool any more, flea's old school slapping as well as the original funk stuff is really the only good slapping.

11. nickbass79

nickbass79

Nov 11, 2009
    North Carolina
    Yes

12. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    +1

If you just listen to it and not watch, It sounds like the bass room at Guitar Center on a Saturday afternoon

13. IdealWay

IdealWay

Oct 18, 2006
    Asheville, NC
    Bunny Brunel ripped it! So did Bromberg but it was a guitar solo as far as I'm concerned.

14. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Thoroughly Nice Guy Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Hate is not a family value.

15. iJazz

iJazz

Jan 9, 2012
    Sussex, WI
    Other than picking Flea as the most musically appealing, I agree. Bunny showed both taste and chops while Bromberg really did sound like a guitar.

High intensity flash is great and all, but give me genuine thoughtful musicality any day.

iJazz - I want the emphasis on the bass part of the bass guitar, not the guitar part of the instrument. They aren't mutually exclusive.

16. Bert Slide

Bert Slide

May 16, 2012
    Louisville KY

HaHa! Ain't it the truth. Bass is a great instrument and I love it but many bass solos bore me to tears. Too much speed and flash and not enough soul.

+2 on being over the slap craze except the old school funk style. Too much too fast sounds like musical masturbation to me.

17. musicman666

musicman666

Sep 11, 2011
    ca
    I think Billy Sheehan played every note on the fretboard as fast as he could!!!...lol

18. Looks like those guys really enjoyed what Flea brought to the table

19. Obviously the sound quality of the VIDEO sucked, listen to how empty the drums are.

20. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    Endorsing Artist: Kiesel, Carvin, Accuracy, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    I've done several of these including this one:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021