Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who knows anything about Japanese Jacksons?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SlavaF, Mar 8, 2004.

1. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Hello!

At the place that I take lessons, I found a black 4 string Jackson bass a little while ago that I've been salivating over since. It plays beautifully, looks amazing, sounds like pure authority and feels just right. Only problem is... I don't know anything about it. Perhaps somebody here can help me?

It's a sparkly black bass with a slightly pointy headstock, and I'm told it was made in Japan. It has the famous spike inlays. It's passive, with a PJ pickup configuration. It has 3 knobs: volume, tone and pan. Cream binding on the neck. Rosewood fingerboard (I think) and the back of the neck was painted black, so I'm not sure on wood. It was VERY lightweight, and so I assume it was made out of alder or possibly swamp ash, though I doubt it.

Apparently Jackson had a brief stint in Japan that is now over: they were the middle ground between the really cheap and really expensive Jacksons. I have no idea why they were discontinued. I just want to make sure that this is a good bass with no serious problems.

The bass "retails" for $895 CAD in the store, but I'm told by a sales guy that I can bargain down to about $650, since its been in the store for a long time. It looks perfect to me, but I just feel a little uncomfortable not knowing the thing's history or anything like that. Normally I can write a book on a bass if I'm considering buying it! :p

So if anyone can give me a bit of enlightenment about this particular bass, I would really appreciate it! Hopefully I'll have pics next saturday. :bassist:

2. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    BUMP

Come on people!

3. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    buuuuump :rolleyes:

4. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    BUMP! I have a pic, and a model name: it's the Concert XL Professional.

Here's the (edited) pic... :D