1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

who knows how a GK head w/a MESA cab sounds?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by stefean, Jul 30, 2007.

1. stefean

stefean

May 18, 2007
    If you're using a GK head (particularly the 1001RB-II) with a MESA cab (particularly the powerhouse 4x10), let me know if it sounds good. Thanks.

2. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Listen to Justin Chancellor. He's using a 2001 & an 8X10...so basically twice what you are looking at. Do you think he sounds good?

That combo would be killer to me! I'd rock it in a heartbeat...

3. najman

najman

Jul 23, 2007
    New York
    I was actually in GC yesterday looking for a new PA for my band and _happened_ to walk into the bass room. I used a GK 1000RB into a mesa powerhouse 4x10 with a fender jazz.

Sounded ok. clear and punchy, but nothing to write home about. Especially after I tried the aguilar 500 dual channel combo.

4. stefean

stefean

May 18, 2007
    You know I think I read that recently on bass guitar or bass player magazine and just competely forgot. Thanks a lot.

5. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Of course he uses much more than just that, but I'd say that it's own of the mainstays of his sound...

6. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    After all of the effects Mr. Chancellor uses, and the fact that he is using a combination of a clean rig, dirty rig, and direct line to house sound, I don't know if I would call that a very good comparison to a straight 1001RB and Powerhouse 4x10 cab.....

Best suggestion would be to find one and play it.

7. morebass!

morebass! I'm all ears Supporting Member

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    I play a 1001RB-II with an older Diesel 2x15 with EV drivers. It sounds great. Same setup that flea used in his early career. Great for fingerstyle and slap.

8. jimmy462

jimmy462 Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Tennessee
    i play a GK 1001RB-II thru a MESA powerhouse 2x10 and a MESA powerhouse 1x15. after trying TONS of combinations over the past few years, this is the best i have found for my tastes. can't say enough about it.

9. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    I've been using GK's for a couple of years now with my Mesa cabs...love the tone!

10. bagman

bagman

Sep 28, 2005
    SE Florida
    I run a GK 1001 rb II into a older messa 215 roadready. It is the older model with no horn and 400 watt EV speakers.

Pros: Real nice old school feel, the mids are out of this world, moving this cab is easy with the mesa castor's. The roadready is well protected and the front cover is easy to remove. Very well made.

Cons: Not light.