Who knows of a good starter bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ThAt duDe, Apr 26, 2005.

1. ThAt duDe

ThAt duDe

Aug 2, 2004
    I am switching to bass guitar after playing guitar for 3 1/2 years. I'm looking for a versatile bass with a range from warm to crunch. I'm hoping to pay no more than $600 dollars on the actual bass, I'm hoping for something of quality.

I was thinking about the Fender Jazz Bass because of its versatility and warm tone, but I heard its heavy for gigs. The Mark Hoppus appealed to me for awhile because of the unique tone that grabbed me, but I decided that the lack of a tone knob would cut my musical vocabulary in two later on.

Any suggestions?
  2. RedVampyre

Jan 10, 2005
    Alabama, USA
    I'd strongly recommend the Warwick Rockbass Fortress. I've been playing mine since September of last year. It sounds and plays awesome. It sounds great straight into a DI and into the PA. It has the PJ pickup combo, a 2-band EQ, active/passive push-pull, and blend.

The body is made out of swamp ash, while the neck is maple with a rosewood fretboard.

It also comes with an adjustable nut (Just-A-Nut II)

Here's a picture of my bass:

3. ThAt duDe

ThAt duDe

Aug 2, 2004
    What about the Mike Dirnt signature P-Bass? Anyone have anything to say about that one?
  4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've played 'em, I've liked some. They're very hit or miss. Sound quality is certainly there, but the necks are chunky, and the basses are generally pretty heavy. In other words, just the way I like 'em.
  5. EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    I say look for something a little more versatile. A P/J combo would be a good choice for you, I think. I also recommend a Shecter Stiletto Elite or Studio bass (only if you upgrade to EMG active pickups). They sell pretty cheaply on Ebay and they're killer once you get EMG actives (EMG 35 P and TW or J, maybe?).

Totally worth it. I love my Elite-4. Incredible bass for the money, IMO.