who knows where to get stuff to convert bass to steinberger style tuning?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by garth elson, Aug 23, 2005.

1. garth elson

garth elson

Aug 23, 2005
    Los Angeles
    provided you guys all know what the steinberger style is (no headstock, tuning devices down at the bridge), can anyone tell me where i might purchase the required items for such? I do know i could just buy tuners and put them at the bottom, but id like the bridge with the knobs on it. id like to find out the name of the little attachment for the top, the one that you just cut off the headstock and screw it on the neck, then put the strings on like that. help a brotha out.

2. Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
  3. What are you planning on putting this on, if you don't mind me asking?
  4. garth elson

garth elson

Aug 23, 2005
    Los Angeles
    well, back in the eighth grade, i made a bass out of solid oak. it weighs thirteen pounds, and ah luv it to def. i opted for ****ty tuners, so i thought i might as well make it look cool since i have to buy new **** anyhow. if any of yuh want to see it, my aim sn is totungkinder. i dont have a myspace.
  5. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    The gear Justice mentions at Allparts is from ABM. Very nice, but can be pricey. Also try Brian at www.bestbassgear.com as he's an Allparts dealer and can get anything in thier catalogue at a better price (usually) than Allparts list.

ETS also make headless setups - http://www.ets-hardware.com/

Status Graphite also do headless hardware. The individual bridge tuners are ABM and the headpieces are there own.
    http://www.status-graphite.com/status/carts/frames/frame4.htm > Online Shop > Spare parts

I've got both types of ABM hardware and it's all excellent.
  6. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Dave Bunker has headpiece string retainers, micrometer tuners, and the actual headless necks which can be retrofitted to just about any 34" scale instrument.

Other than Bunker, Moses, and Status, I can't think of anybody else offering headless necks.

7. Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    I've been playing bass for over 20 years, I think I know what a Steinberger is. :bassist: