Who likes 1960's Hagstrom basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fat-bottom, May 18, 2001.

1. I am expecting a 1967 "f400" Hagstrom short scale bass from an E-Bay auction. Who has experience with this bass and what are your thoughts?
  2. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    T Jay, i've owned a few Hagstrom basses over the years. I always liked the necks on their instruments, they were one of the fastest necks around. Your F-400 is the updated version of the Hagstrom-1B. The F-400 was also known as the Hagstrom-2B. It had the same electronics/hardware and neck as the Hagstrom-1B but it's body was made totally out of wood unlike the 1B which was part wood with a plastic front.
    Both basses were medium scale 32" instruments. I found that D'Addario roundwound med scale were perfect for my Hagstrom's. If you're use to playing roundwound strings, you might want to give a set of XL-170M's a try.
    Good luck with your bass, i'm sure that it will provide you with many hours of enjoyment.
    Here's a picture of my Hagstrom prototype bass (one of 16 made) from 1983. If your interested in it's story you can read about it at the following link.