1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Who likes 1960's Hagstrom basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fat-bottom, May 18, 2001.

1. I am expecting a 1967 "f400" Hagstrom short scale bass from an E-Bay auction. Who has experience with this bass and what are your thoughts?

2. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    T Jay, i've owned a few Hagstrom basses over the years. I always liked the necks on their instruments, they were one of the fastest necks around. Your F-400 is the updated version of the Hagstrom-1B. The F-400 was also known as the Hagstrom-2B. It had the same electronics/hardware and neck as the Hagstrom-1B but it's body was made totally out of wood unlike the 1B which was part wood with a plastic front.
    Both basses were medium scale 32" instruments. I found that D'Addario roundwound med scale were perfect for my Hagstrom's. If you're use to playing roundwound strings, you might want to give a set of XL-170M's a try.
    Good luck with your bass, i'm sure that it will provide you with many hours of enjoyment.
    Cheers
    Here's a picture of my Hagstrom prototype bass (one of 16 made) from 1983. If your interested in it's story you can read about it at the following link.
    http://hem.passagen.se/awe/hagstromenarticles.htm