Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who likes horns?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jrich, Jul 12, 2001.

1. jrich

jrich

Jul 10, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I started a thread about this a while ago but not too many responses, so sorry if anyone is angry that I am starting a new one. I am going to add a 2X10 to my fender bxr 200, and fender 1X15. I need something that is 8ohms and at least 100 watts. I am looking to add a little bit more punch and a little more high end. Does anybody use a 2X10 w/ a horn or recommend it, how much do the add? Do they add any hiss? Any other 2X10 recommendations that isn't too expensive?

thanks,
    josh

2. I like horns, mainly for when i slap and POP...popping sounds really nice through a horn...

3. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    only on your head....

4. My Ampeg 4x10 has a horn and I like it. It sounds better than without. Ampeg's 6x10 has a horn and I think is better balanced than the 8x10. I'd recommend getting the cab with a horn. You can always turn it down so it's a little more subtle.

If you have a cab with a horn, don't stand directly in front of it if you pop with the volume high. The high end will kill you.

:)

5. I *try* to run the horn in my Ampeg 410 as well, but keep on blowing the lightbulb-fuse (probably 'cause I always turn the limiter off on the amp).

Horns give a nice sizzle, even if you're not popping/slapping, but IMO they're kinda useless in live situations where you're simply using the cab as a stage monitor (and especially if you're mic'ing the cab, unless you double-mic or position the mic to pick up some HF output).

Depending on the driver, the amp and your settings (esp. treble and brilliance/presence controls) you'll get hiss. Some cabs are more hissy than others - it's a matter of trying them out (eg my SWR WM15 hisses like a demon, but my SVT410HLN is much smoother).

6. oo0o00o0oo

oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    Chicago
    I didn't even know mine was blown until I noticed the hiss....It couldn't have added much to my sound.

7. miktit

miktit Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2001
    Denmark
    The SWR Goliath Jr. sounds nice, and has quite a deep low end when played alone (good for smaller gigs)
    Personally I prefer to have the horn turned almost off, only slightly enhancing the crisp highs.