1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Who likes horns?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jrich, Jul 12, 2001.

1. jrich

jrich

Jul 10, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I started a thread about this a while ago but not too many responses, so sorry if anyone is angry that I am starting a new one. I am going to add a 2X10 to my fender bxr 200, and fender 1X15. I need something that is 8ohms and at least 100 watts. I am looking to add a little bit more punch and a little more high end. Does anybody use a 2X10 w/ a horn or recommend it, how much do the add? Do they add any hiss? Any other 2X10 recommendations that isn't too expensive?

thanks,
    josh

2. Grahams Groove

Grahams Groove Can we please just groove for a while? Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Boulder, CO
    I like horns, mainly for when i slap and POP...popping sounds really nice through a horn...

3. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    only on your head....

4. My Ampeg 4x10 has a horn and I like it. It sounds better than without. Ampeg's 6x10 has a horn and I think is better balanced than the 8x10. I'd recommend getting the cab with a horn. You can always turn it down so it's a little more subtle.

If you have a cab with a horn, don't stand directly in front of it if you pop with the volume high. The high end will kill you.

:)

5. I *try* to run the horn in my Ampeg 410 as well, but keep on blowing the lightbulb-fuse (probably 'cause I always turn the limiter off on the amp).

Horns give a nice sizzle, even if you're not popping/slapping, but IMO they're kinda useless in live situations where you're simply using the cab as a stage monitor (and especially if you're mic'ing the cab, unless you double-mic or position the mic to pick up some HF output).

Depending on the driver, the amp and your settings (esp. treble and brilliance/presence controls) you'll get hiss. Some cabs are more hissy than others - it's a matter of trying them out (eg my SWR WM15 hisses like a demon, but my SVT410HLN is much smoother).

6. oo0o00o0oo

oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    Chicago
    I didn't even know mine was blown until I noticed the hiss....It couldn't have added much to my sound.

7. miktit

miktit Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2001
    Denmark
    The SWR Goliath Jr. sounds nice, and has quite a deep low end when played alone (good for smaller gigs)
    Personally I prefer to have the horn turned almost off, only slightly enhancing the crisp highs.