Who likes the White Stripes?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by cajunrockstar, Jan 22, 2004.

1. Yeah! They're the bestest!

27 vote(s)
  2. HAY-ELL NO!!!

64 vote(s)
  1. I just was curious to see how many White Stripes fans they had at TB. Seeing as how they don't have a bass player and everyone here is a bass player. I personally can't stand them. And not just because they don't have a bass player(although that has a lot to do with it), they music just sucks. What do ya'll think.
  2. I don't care about them having a bass player or not.. I don't like their stuff AT ALL!
  3. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I thought it was some sort of tooth-whitening thing...
  4. I don't like em. Bassist or no bassist I just don't enjoy their music.
  5. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    I love 'em. Saw them live a couple of years ago and that was it.
  6. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    It's fun to play along with them on bass-- his guitar lines are basically bass lines anyway. I was having a blast playing "It's A Little Bit Harder" form White Blood Cells last night.
  7. It's not that they don't have a bassist, it's that I can't stand his voice. No, don't care for them.
  8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

People who don't like bass, can't discern an in-tune guitar, or half-way compentent drumming.

In other words - hype-suckers enslaved by the marketing "geniuses." :rolleyes:

Aren't they "over" yet anyway ???
  9. I like em. Nicely polished garge rock.
  10. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
  11. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I like them. I don't really care if music has bass or not. I just want it to communicate to me in some way. They have found a voice in music that I believe is pretty much their own, so that's cool too.
  12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Singer Sucks
    Drummer Sucks
    Don't mind the basic rhythm guitar. The only thing that has good tone in the band.
  13. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I think they're awesome, while Jack's singing is hardly anything to write home about the guy can play guitar like few I've ever heard, his overdubs are amazing and his style is fairly original. I also like Meg's drumming, I give them credit, they're a band doing something few have done before with any degree of sucess whatsoever, a drummer and a guitarist, both of whom sing, play their instruments with skill and grace and make some good music together. As far as I'm concerned, originality, skill and taste make a great band, they've got that covered.

Rickbass, I'm curious why you seem to dislike his detuned guitar so much? A lot of bands drop tune, and most bassists, to D or C and change all their tunings to reflect that drop. Why is it so bad for him to do it?
  14. F*#$NA4

Jul 11, 2003
    In my OPINION, they are image rock. They do not have much substance to their tunes. Read their lyrics and see how lame they are.

It was a baby boy
    So we bought him a toy
    It was a ray gun
    And it was 1981

Come on.
  15. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Those lyrics sound fine to me. The question is, does it successfully communicate an idea, a feeling, or both... With them I would usually answer, yes.
  16. F*#$NA4

Jul 11, 2003
    Well, I guess I cannot say if it communicates an idea, but you can't either. You do not know the intentions of the lyrics or songs. So......
  17. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Well, I know what it communicates to me. ;)
  18. I like them. They are original, and I like jacks singing and guitar playing. I bet most of the people who said they didnt like them, only heard "7 nation army" and "hardest button to button" most of their songs dont have drums that only go "boom, boom, boom"!!!:D ;)

I used to hate them too, until I heard more of their songs...my picks are...

Dead leaves and the dirty ground
    I'm finding it harder to be a gentleman
    fell in love with a girl
    the union forever (one of my all time favs)
    offend in every way
    I cant wait
  19. TheBassmeister

Nov 23, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Alright... Im not one of those goth or punk kids who hate stuff because its popular, but holy crap I cannot stand The White Stripes. I think that the fact that they dont have a bass player bothers me as much as the tastelessness in their music. I was flipping through the channels and I caught one of their videos on MTV and saw all sorts of flashy equipment being whored and propagandized and I realized they were just fake rockers.
    So...for me... HAYYYY-ELL NO!