1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who lives in California?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by reasonbass, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Or better yet southern Cal, no actually San Bernardino county?

I'm going to be stationed at Marine Corps MCAGCC at 29 Palms. I know its a small town. But are there any cool places around there? I like outdoor sports like hiking, kite boarding, surfing.

I'm getting my truck shipped over there. So driving won't be a problem. I'm probably getting a motorcycle once I'm there too.

Are there any places to see bands. I'll like to jam with some folks over there. I'll have my Stingray 5. But I can't bring my rig. Too big. Well thanks in advance for any replies you guys might have for me.

2. steve21

steve21 Banned

I've been around San Bernadino on the way to the Ontario Mills Mall, where the last remaining Kenny Roger's Roasters in America resides.

3. Holy cow! Theres still a Kenny Rodgers Roasters still alive! Wow. They had some pretty good rotisserie chicken if I recall. My friends used work in one and they hooked me up.

I heard Carl's Jr burgers were pretty good. Any truth in that?

4. Rakie

Rakie Let me take you down, 'cause I'm going to...

Out of all the fast food places they're my favorite, if that means anything to you, lol.

5. steve21

steve21 Banned

Yeah, the Roaster still lives. Mostly international now. But the Ontario Mills Mall food court has a Roaster, and it's pretty good. I recommend going during more "peak hours" to get freshest stuff (usually when me & the guys make the 50 mile drive, solely for chicken & ribs, mind you, we get there late and it kinda has been sitting around). But what'll you do, it's the last Roaster in the USA.

Carl's Jr. is pretty good. Occasionally Jack in the Box hits the spot. But the best burger joint around here, I think, has to be In-N-Out.

6. ZonPlyr

ZonPlyr

Apr 29, 2003
    Pasadena, CA
    +1 for in-n-out. I was stationed at the stumps briefly in the late 80's, now i'm living in Pasadena but head to Ontario every sunday for a Praise band gig. As far as places to go and bands to see, it's SoCal man, lots of stuff going on every night. If you want to make the drive into LA/Hollywood there is everything and everybody to see. Surfing, Kite Boarding, swimming, everything else, drive west until you hit the water. It's all here and a beautiful place to live.

Welcome.

7. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    PM Makisupastar

He is in Huntington beach and knows all the ins and outs of SoCal............

I am in NorCal myself, welcome to the west coast!!!!!

8. steve21

steve21 Banned

Hey Rick, haven't seen you around lately! How's things going?

9. casualmadness

casualmadness

Dec 15, 2005
    VA
    +1. Ain't much to do around 29 stumps but head into Hollywood and there's tons to do around Sunset and Hollywood. I spent some time out there in the early 90's. Fun place to live. And if all else fails...Tijuana is only a few hours south. :eek:

10. ZonPlyr

ZonPlyr

Apr 29, 2003
    Pasadena, CA
    Hey Steve, i'm back in town again after a long hiatus. How are things going with you? Still playing? you better be. :)

11. WildStallyns.

:p

12. Ben B

Ben B

Jul 13, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    By cool, you mean temperature, right? No, once June hits, there's no cool places anywhere around there. Sorry couldn't resist. ;)

Seriously, 29 Palms is pretty desolate. The town outside the base is very small. As others have said, head to LA. Vegas is only a few hours away too.

It's probably a decent place to ride a motorcycle. There's a stretch of old Route 66 not too far North if you're into the Nostalgia thing.

Good luck.
    Ben

13. steve21

steve21 Banned

Things are good! I've been playing... hit a bit of a patch of feeling like I had no ideas, but I'm back in and having fun. Lost the 6 string, though... back onto 4 strings. Did some theory stuff this past summer, got pretty decent... just haven't been keeping up with it unfortunately. How was your trip? Australia, right? Pretty far from good ole' Pasadena.

14. Maki is a Orange County-loving guy. He hangs out in the snooty beach cities with the trigger-happy cops that frequent those white-bread areas. I don't think he gets in-land that much. Welcome to the Golden State. :smug:

15. Spoiled Grape

Spoiled Grape I <3 Darkstar

May 29, 2003
    Riverside, CA
    Welcome to the desert!

You are about four-six hours away from Lake Havasu (water skiing, water boating, people watching, drinking, general partying) as well as Las Vegas. About 2-3 hours east of Hollywood with lots of shows and bars. Head west until you hit the beach and have fun.

I go hiking quite a bit, and when my brother-in-law gets back from Iraq we are going to go on a pretty beefy hike in Death Valley.

Hit me up if you want to join us! I live about an hour west of you in Riverside County, but we sometimes hike out your way.

16. I'd love to go on that hike! It might be rough on me because I'm not used to hiking up hills. Just the forests and swamps in South Carolina and North Carolina.

We used have arguments between the West coast Marines and the East coast Marines on who had the hardest hikes. :D

17. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    I live about an hour north of the Cal border, so I get to enjoy the Redwoods, Ave of Giants, Eureka-Arcata, w/o having to pay the OUTRAGEOUS gas prices or sales tax!

LOVE N Cal! S Cal is interesting but there sure is a lot of ppl with a lot of nuthin' in between.
    I-5 is mind numbing. 101 and 1 are FUN!!

18. Rakie

Rakie Let me take you down, 'cause I'm going to...

Yeah, me and Maki are in Huntington Beach.

I don't really like In and Out burgers, but those who do like them, love them. SO I guess its just my personal thing

19. Spoiled Grape

Spoiled Grape I <3 Darkstar

May 29, 2003
    Riverside, CA
    Eh, you gain some hills and lose a ton of humidity. You'll get used to the dry heat real quick, it's way easier to get used to than the sauna. The funnest part of these hikes is the amount of climbing and running involved. A normal trail we run in the area by my house has a ton of 2:1 and worse for me to train on.

20. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Welcome to California. 29 Palms is kind of a dead town though. Everyone else has given you pretty good advice.