who loves P/J combinations on their basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by instigata, Mar 9, 2006.

1. instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    theres somethin about the "best of both worlds" deal going on with these.

however, my favorite pups have to be two humbuckers, dingwall style, with passive tone and all the series/coilsingle coil options i can take. you can get EVERY tone from those. p/j is a close second though.

i don't like onboard preamps. i prefer all my eqing coming from the amp/chained effects.
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I used to like PJ, and yes, it is the best of two worlds. But not the best of the best two worlds for me anymore.

Im on to somethnig else now...
  3. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    You get the solid, ballsy, rich tone from the P, and the barky, nasal growl from the J. I LIKE IT!
  4. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
  5. dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    I love the way mine sounds...I fiddled with P and a J style configurations forever trying to find my sound. I got my SX P/J and even with the cheapo pups I immediately got that tone I was after. With SD's it's even better now.

I think most of the basses I'll own will have that combo. Plus I think the P/J combo just looks cool on the bass too.
  6. ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    Funny, I was just about to post a thread about this. I've been debating about adding a Fralin J pickup to my Glaub, but I still haven't reached a decision.

Does anyone have trouble regarding equal output between the two pickups?

I know that people have added J pickups to P basses before, but does adding the J pickup adversely affect the sound of the P bass in any way?
  7. CLJMB

CLJMB Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2005
    North Alabama
    I used to have a P/J. I always got a sort of flange sound on the P pickup even with the J full off. And the J was much weaker than the P.
  8. I'm a huge fan of the Precision/Jazz combo.
  9. JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    PJs are the way to go!
  10. Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    I've got a PJ P-Bass (MIA), but I use it 85% in P only.
  11. instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    pjs r pretty sweet.

who originally thought of it anyway?

o, and could it be possible to do "s1" switching on a p/j. i guess u could series parallel the p itself (theres 2 coils) and then maybe the jazz and the p together as well?
  12. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    I like a P/J setup. I don't worry about even output for the two pickups b/c I don't really dig soloing the bridge pickup. I like to blend a little J to fill out the mids of the P.
  13. artitrol

Jan 15, 2005
    i love this setup too.
  14. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

I've been very happy with the sound I get with my Wilkins P/J's which have the stock Lindy Fralin "P" with the dual coil "J", I have them set up with vol,vol,tone and that combination sounds great: Warm bottom with a sweet top, of course the two basses sound a bit different due to the tonal differences of the tops, one is Myrtle and the other is Maple.

I might add that we tried vol, blend, tone and couldn't get that control set-up to work satisfactorily. There are lots of threads on the pros and cons of that system. IMHO vol,vol,tone was versatile, easy to control and the best sounding on a P/J equipped Bass.

15. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I think you have to have a dual (not single) coil J pickup for this to work properly, and you need to make sure it's at least a certain distance from the P pickup or there will be interference, IIRC.

In other words, I'd ask a lot of questions to the knowledgeable folks on this board before I attacked my Glaub with a router, if I were you. :D

I'd love to try a P/J some day, particularly a 5-string. Unfortunately, the Lulls are 35" scale, and the Sadowskys are pricey. I'd like to hear the Precision Deluxe, but the massive dual-coil J pickup seems a little odd -- almost more like an MM pickup in appearance, at least.
  16. I'm still evaluating mine (SX SPJ-62), which I got a few months ago. With both pickups on full, it kind of has a scooped sound, which seems muffled. It's neither P nor J; it's kind of confused I guess. Lately I've been playing with just the P on full & the J cut out. I'll probably keep messing with it for awhile, but I'm beginning to lean in the direction of getting a P bass (SX, probably) for that sound, and using my Jazz for that sound. Perhaps it's Essex that doesn't have the configuration right, but I'm just not wild about the P/J setup on my bass... doesn't really cut through all that well for me. :meh:
  17. ptidwell

ptidwell Commercial User

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Owner LoPHAT Cabinets
    I have a Fernandes APB-5 jj that I converted to P5J with EMG
    pu's and the EMG BTS System preamp. Great tone and playability. Comes in #3 of 5 in my rotation.
  18. [​IMG]

yummy american precision bass pickup pared with a noiseless Jazz pickup.. (I changed the covers)

18 volt electronics + plus PJ.. can't be beaten..
  19. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
  20. ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I was planning on using a Fralin humcancelling J pickup, to escape the usual single coil hum. Why do you think I have to use a dual-coil pickup? Are humcancelling pickups hotter than single coils?

I'll be attacking an SX P before I even let my Glaub get near the router. :D