"Who Loves You?"

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Bruce Lindfield, Feb 23, 2001.

1. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Has anybody else got this Jaco tribute CD - I picked it up yeserday in London - first time I'd seen it in the UK. There are a lot of great musicians involved and some of the best bassists around : Victor Bailey, John Patitucci, Mark Egan, James Genus, Will Lee, Marcus Miller etc.

On first listening, I like it a lot and the Marcus Miller "Portrait of Tracy" is a real stand-out for me. He really develops this into something new without losing the original appeal. I will be listening again and will no doubt find other highlights. I can remember it being mentioned here, but not whether anybody actually got it and can't find it , using search.
  2. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    Where did you get it from, Bruce? I wouldn't mind hearing how Jaco's playing has been approached. I'd have thought that, with Jaco's reputation, no-one would want to try and touch one of his songs.
  3. Bruce Lindfield

I got it at HMV in Oxford Street - it was an import, in their Jazz section.

These are all top-notch musicians though and a lot ofthem actually played with Jaco - like the Brecker brothers, Don Alias, Pete Erskine, Hiram Bullock , David Sanborn etc. So I don't think there are any worries there - and I think they are all people who have some sort of empathy and sympathy with what Jaco was doing.

I just noticed that Horam Bullock and Will Lee have transposed "Come on, Come on over" down a third - presumably to accommodate their vocal range , but it also makes the bass line a bit more difficult, if you're playing along!
  4. I got my copy from Amazon.com. I think it's a great tribute to Jaco. "Third Stone From the Sun" is one of my favorites.
  5. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...picked it up about 3 years ago(as an import; at present, it should be available domestically here in the US).
    Anyway, kickin' version of "Dania"(Mark Egan on bass); I really wish I had a recording with The Word Of Mouth band blowin' through that tune.
    ...and I also like Patitucci's acoustic reading of Hendrix' "Third Stone From The Stone".
  6. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I also bought it when it got out, about 3 years ago. I bought it from audiophile import.
  7. Bruce Lindfield

I think this shows up the limitations of internet shopping for me - if you didn't know such a thing existed, how would you search for it? As this is effectively a compilation or "various artists", it's not the sort of thing I would look for normally. So strictly speaking it shouldn't be filed under "Jaco Pastorius" as he doesn't play on it and isn't involved except as composer on some tracks.

I think I will still be browsing in shops for some time to come - basically because I enjoy it and given the numbers of people in Oxford Street on any given day, so do a lot of people! If you wander around and look at what people are doing in London - shopping still seems to be the No.1 passtime. ;)
  8. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...uh, 'cause Yvon & me probably mentioned it(a few times, too)THREE YEARS AGO! :D
    And I did see Who Loves You today as I hit the record store today(it's filed under "Pastorius").
    Too, Tom Stroud's Jaco site, is usually pretty up-to-date with what's goin' on; I check it every so often. And Jaco's "Official" site www.jacopastorius.com has some pertinent info(supposedly, Bob Bobbings' Dixie Highway set is getting "closer" to reality.
  9. I found it doing a search for Pastorius on Amazon.com . Since it is a tribute album (and the cover has his name on it), it makes sense that it would show up in such a search.
  10. Bruce Lindfield

I can't remember things that far back! At the time I was pretty nervous about making internet purchases and as it wasn't available in the UK, I probably resigned myself to not getting it. If it is under "P" isn't this misfiling? My view would be that it has to be "Various Artists".

Anyway - it's new to the UK - yawnsie is UK-based as well and confirmed my view that we haven't seen it before over here.
  11. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I live in Canada, and I never saw the album here. I had to look for it over the net and I found it at audiophile imports. To be honest I don't remember how long it as been. I bought the album when it was out, as soon as I heard about it.

12. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...just pulling your chain, Bruce(actually, I've only been on-line about 2 years now).
    So waddayathink about "Dania"?

I also have another Jaco "tribute" called I Remember Jaco; bought that one a few years ago, like '92(it's probably OOP). The band is Bob Mintzer(sax), Jeff Andrews(electric bass; very under-recorded player, IMO), Peter Erskine(drums), Michael Formanek(acoustic bass; he has some nice solo albums out there in a Avant Gard-ish vibe...check out Low Profile)), Joey Calderazzo(keys), & Frankie Malabe(percussion). All the tunes are written by Minzter except for "Three Views Of A Secret".

Yet another Jaco "tribute" that I've had the radar out for is called For Our Friend. I don't know too much about that one(I think Alex Darqui is playing on it).
  13. Bruce Lindfield

Yes, this is pretty much a "straight ahead" Jazz rendition, but with a "killer" band - they must have all played with Jaco at one time or other. The surprise for me is how much I like Mark Egan's playing on this album, (given the competition) - I feel ike I've heard of him, but can't remember any CDs on which I've noticed his playing before. Any suggestions for an album that showcases Mark Egan's talents?

I think the thing is for me, that I would like to hear more music like this, but I suppose that people in the past, especially bassists have wanted to avoid the Jaco-clone label. But I think it would be great if there was a band like the "Word of Mouth" band touring and playing the occasional Jaco composition. Maybe there is enough distance and time from the Jaco "legend", for this to happen now?
  14. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    There's another Jaco Tribute out there called Basstorius (from Hotwire's Basstalk series). Some nice stuff there too, especially 'The Cat' by Kai Eckhardt-de Carmago and Benjamin H├╝llenkremer
  15. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Mark Egan was in the "first" Pat Metheny Group(early '80s?)...in fact, one of their albums has a tune titled "Jaco". Egan also played with ex-Metheny drummer, Danny Gottlieb, in a group called Elements; Egan also has his own solo discs out(in a GRP vibe, if that means anything to you).
    He is usually seen playing Pedulla fretless basses(or even MULTI-neck basses).
    I'm not too sure...was Egan one of Jaco's "pupils" when Jaco was giving bass lessons @the University Of Miami?
    I'm like you; his playing on this record was happenin'.

Another bit of trivia-
    Walter Egan(Mark's brother)had a late '70s hit; anybody remember its name?
  16. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH

Yes, I believe I read that Marc was a student of Jaco.

Chris A:rolleyes:
  17. "Hot Summer Nights"? "Tunnel O' Love"? I give up. What is it?
  18. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...I'm not too sure about the name, that's why I asked! ;)
    I think there's a line that sez "You are a magnet & I am steel"...?